Chapter 53

October; My favourite month of the year after December. The holidays have continuously been a time of the year where gifts and lots of food are involved. I never considered myself religious, but I enjoyed watching the cultures celebrate traditionally, commemorating significance in their homes.

Apart from food, I generally looked forward to seeing everyone's costumes. Whether they were dressed as devils or angels for Halloween or tyres and dresses for Christmas, I was always surprised and found myself anticipating the upcoming days.

Aiden and I had been moving between the frat house and my apartment for the past weeks. We spent every free moment together, sometimes accompanied by Will and other times with Myra and Lars.

Neither of them suspected our relationship. However, Aiden began taking more risks. He was kissing me when Myra and Lars had their backs turned or brushed past me purposefully when they were talking to me.

It was exciting, new, and thrilling. I was genuinely surprised they hadn't figured it out yet.

This afternoon had been no different. Apparently, we were all out to buy costumes for Halloween. Myra was very serious about the holiday. She wanted to match with Lars and wouldn't give up searching every shop, even remotely containing costumes. So after the tenth shop, we returned to one of her earlier options and picked them out.

"Have you got a costume prepared?" Myra asked me, sifting through a rack in a vintage shop we'd stopped by in. Lars and Aiden sat on a backless couch in the hall.

"I don't think so," I told her.

"Have you seen anything that interests you?" She pulled out a cream-coloured dress with pearls embroidered on the skirt. She held it up against her chest, scrunched her face, and placed it back on the rack.

"Maybe I'll wear a dress." I heard her scoff.

"It's Halloween, Emma. You can wear whatever ridiculous outfit you want, and people don't look at you strangely. Embrace it!"

I smiled softly and joined her search through the many outfits.

Honestly, I had no idea what I was going to wear. I never really put much effort into my costumes. I was not one to usually participate as much as I observed. I'm not entirely sure why.

"What would you suggest I wear?" I glanced at her over the piles of clothes.

She rubbed her chin for a moment in thought. Then, she smiled. "What if you dressed as Cat Woman? Or maybe a princess?"

I muffled a laugh. "Are there any options that aren't superheroes or princesses?"

She rolled her eyes and continued to think. "Maybe you could come as a witch or a clown."

"A clown? That's what you came up with?" I laughed.

A smile broke out on her face. "I'm thinking on the spot here. Maybe it would be easier if you could come with someone."

Out of the blue, I asked, "What's Aiden dressing up as?"

A high-pitched chuckle left her lips. "You think he participates in these sorts of things? He likes to take off the costumes rather than put them on... if you know what I mean."

I knew exactly what she meant.

I cleared my throat, forcing a smile. "Maybe I'll just dress up the same as I do every year."

"And what is that?" She eyes me curiously from a stand.

"A dress." I grinned at her, enjoying the dramatic roll of her eyes.

At one point, Myra gave up on trying to convince me otherwise. She bought a costume that matched the one she bought Lars. Later, she explained they had something to do with Harley Quinn and the Joker and, ironically, made a joke about Aiden resembling most aspects of the character.

"I'm not exactly sure why he's even come with us. It's not like he'll be buying a costume," Myra said over her shoulder as she paid for the costumes.

I didn't say anything in return.

When we met the guys back in the hall, Lars pecked Myra on the cheek and held her hand as they walked ahead of us.

Aiden stared at me with his usual scowl and narrowed eyes.

"Everything okay?" He asked me as he fell in step beside me.

I nodded. "I heard you don't dress up for Halloween."

He shrugged. "I'm not a big fan of wearing costumes. I'd rather come as myself than pretend to be something I'm not."

"You really take all the fun out of it." I fought my smile.

"I don't see a costume in your hands." He glanced down at me. He really was tall... And very handsome. "Would that imply you won't be dressing up either?" The corners of his lips twitched upward.

"I haven't found a costume yet." I half lied. It was true I hadn't found a costume, but it wasn't essential that I did, either.

"After entering so many stores, you still haven't found anything?" He hummed to himself, grazing my hand so briefly I thought I might have made it up. "I think you might be lying, Adams."

My stomach churned at the sound of my last name, and my face heated. "You'll never know, Blackwood."

His left hand trailed up my arm, and a dimple appeared on one side of his cheek. His stare bore into mine with such intensity that the fluttering in my stomach grew dominant. "You look beautiful today. Did I tell you?"

He stepped closer, toe to toe, when I heard Myra calling my name. My head spun in her direction, meeting her furrowed brows and crossed arms.

"Step away, Satan." I couldn't help but smile at the nickname as she put space between us. "And stop antagonising her."

"I'm driving her home," He announced.

"Why?"

"Do I need a reason?"

"Yes." She said, "You definitely do."

"What is that supposed to mean?" He narrowed his eyes on her, tightening his hands at his sides.

"I'm not going to let you hurt her more than you have already."

A surge of anger flashed across his features. It was gone as fast as it came, but his jaw remained clenched. "I wouldn't hurt her." He swallowed hard. "I'm not a monster, Myra."

"You could've fooled me." She scoffed. "Emma is my roommate and my friend. I'm not taking chances with someone who I don't trust. And if I don't trust you, Emma doesn't either."

Aiden flinched, flicking his eyes to me before returning them to Myra and then Lars.

"Come on, man," Lars interjected. "Leave it alone. We're all familiar with your tantrums. Just leave. We're done here anyway."

"My tantrums?" Aiden's anger returned, simmering in the creases of his brows and his glare. His voice was cold and calculated. And the person who had shown me his drawings and made me laugh was gone. In his place stood someone I didn't want to recognise – someone who I was fearful of.

Lars stepped in front of Myra as if he was protecting her. "I won't end up like Elijah, Aiden. Go. Home. We'll see you at the party Friday." He spread his palm over Myra's back and glanced at me.

I looked up to see Aiden already staring at me.

I'm sorry, I mouthed. I watched his anger dissolve into a frown as he watched me walk away. I could feel his eyes follow me until we turned the corner and disappeared. My heart sunk.

I felt horrible. The entire ride home, I regretted leaving him like that. I should have said something. I should have defended him. But, instead, I stayed silent.

I didn't understand why he allowed everyone to believe he was indifferent about anything or anyone. I didn't understand why he didn't let anyone know him. Nor why he allowed everyone to think he was a bad guy when, in reality, he was sweet and kind and attentive.

Was there something I wasn't being told?