Chapter 34

I have had many conversations with Aiden. The word 'many' being used as an overstatement - if you consider them conversations at all. Some of these exchanges have included me conversing back... this was not one of those times.

I usually tend to have a reason behind my actions, however this one, I was not fully aware of the extent.

I squeezed my phone and turned it face down on my lap, glancing at everyone around me. They all seemed too busy talking about Arthur missing to notice the sudden heat on my face.

I thought I would shut my phone off and rejoin Kate and Elijah, but I got a phone call. The same number Aiden texted me from.

I declined it.

He called again.

I declined.

He then sent another message.

I didn't read it.

I didn't know why I was ignoring him. It just felt like I needed more time... more time to think... to accept the fact that eventually, Aiden would yell at me and tell me that I, just like everyone else around, was not worth his time.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hands a few more times while everyone else went to look for Arthur. I felt tempted to check them, to read his words, and maybe prepare myself for the uncouth things he'd say the next time he saw me.

The phone lit up again and I caved. I read only the last message.

'I'll give you space if that's what you need.'

I sighed, my chest caving with my exhale.

"If you intend to ignore someone, Emma, don't look at their messages."

"Arthur!" I jumped from my seat. "Everyone is looking for you."

"Don't look at the messages, sweetheart." He repeated himself, watching me tuck the phone in my back pocket, and then nodded.

I cleared my throat, desperate to change the topic. "Where have you been?"

"I can't have five minutes to myself without someone worrying about me." He grunted. "I'm old, not a bloody cripple."

"Don't lie to yourself, Arthur, by the look on your face I can tell you are loving the attention." I chuckled.

Arthur's wrinkles smoothened as he heard my words, then returned to create a large grin.

"You asked where I was." He clasped his hands together. "I was looking at a playboy magazine." He raised his brows, "I wanted to finish... reading it."

I closed my eyes in disgust and I opened them to hear Arthur's deep, hearty laughs.

"You asked..." He shrugged.

I couldn't help myself but smile.

"Should I tell the others I found you?" I asked him.

"No," he waved his hand dismissively and a smile took over his face. "Let them worry a little. I feel special knowing someone is looking for me. I almost feel like a criminal... how exciting."

***

I had no idea how fast two days could go by. I managed to catch Will up on the things he missed while managing to stay ahead, myself. All my assignments were submitted before their deadlines and I even found time left over to watch a movie of Will's choosing.

This morning was just as hectic as the last two. Beginning with the traffic and continuing through the crowds of people. By the looks on everyone's faces, it was painfully obvious it was a Friday.