Chapter 50

The car blasted in warm air, fogging up the windows slightly. The streetlights blurred as they went by in a rush.

However short the drive had been, I wished it lasted twice or even three times longer. But coming upon Lars' vehicle parked in front of the restaurant, I glanced at Aiden knowing that the following hours, unable to be with him, would be bland rather than entertaining.

His hands were ready to catch me if I suddenly stumbled when I left the car.

Together, we walked into the restaurant, keeping our distance as if we barely knew each other. There were no brushes of hands, no closeness or familiarity.

Reaching the dark wooden stand, a tall bald man in a suit greeted us with the same routine smile he gave the couple in front of us.

"Do you have a reservation?" He asked.

"Yes. It should be under the name 'Aubrey'."

The man's eyes scrunched as they searched the bright screen in front of him. "Ah, yes." He turned around and subtly pointed at the large round table beyond the large crystal vases. "Table for eight. You must be the last to arrive."

Aiden nodded and walked past him first. I shared a smile with the man as he smoothly moved onto the next family of people.

"You guys made it." Myra synched a brow at Aiden, "With no trouble, I hope."

"It was a lovely drive," I assured her, scanning over the available seats left on the decorative table.

"I saved you a seat next to me and Peter." She told me. "Aiden, you're sitting-"

"Farthest away." He stated with a sarcastic smile, "I do have eyes, Myra."

"Well, Aubrey seemed eager to talk to you before so she saved you a seat next to her and Mike."

Aiden stepped around the table to the both of them. He tugged out his chair and sat down. A waiter appeared and poured some water into his glass. The whole ordeal seemed out of place, robotic almost.

"Here," Peter pulled out my chair, inviting me to sit beside him.

I muttered my thanks for the kind gesture and sat down, straightening the cutlery in front of me even though they had already been in a perfect position.

"You look very beautiful, by the way." He handed me a menu and a caring smile.

"Thank you." I lowered my head into the menu card, reading the incomprehensible list of cuisines.

Some were in French, and the ones that were in English I'd never heard before. The descriptions didn't offer much help either.

Peter turned to me, breaking his conversation with Zoe. "So, what are you having?"

"I haven't the slightest clue," I told him honestly. "I don't think I even understand the menu."

He chuckled and spread the menu wider into his line of sight. His hand grazed mine as he pointed out each food and explained what it was. He seemed to be an expert on the topic.

"I come here quite often." He explained and flipped the page in the menu. "Are you very hungry?"

"Yes, I was sort of hoping I could get a burger and chips..."

"Here are your burger options. I would recommend you order the chips separately, that way you get more of them and don't starve."

I turned to him slightly, expressing my curiosity about fancy restaurants and the little amount of food they were known to serve.