Chapter 10

The sun had been at the coffee shop window all day while we sat at our table enjoying the served coffee. Clouds had disappeared for the day and people outside began to leave the nearby stores as it finally began to darken around us.

My father and I had talked for hours. There were many things we discussed like his job, his interests, stories of Gabriel and he returned all of my questions with a pleasant grin.

"I should get going," My father said when he looked around the half empty café.

"Right. I'm sorry I took up so much of your time... I can imagine you have a lot of things to do." I look at him with an apologetic smile and quickly remove my eyes.

"No, no don't apologize. You didn't take any of my time, on the contrary, I enjoyed being here." We walked to the counter where I went to pay for coffee but he refused and opened his wallet, taking out a shiny credit card and swiping it on my behalf.

After he pushed the door and held it open for me, we both walked quietly into the parking lot where our cars were spaced out.

"Are you okay to get home?" He stopped in front of his car.

"Yes, I'm driving my car." I point to the old thing with a shy smile.

"Okay," he fixed the collar of his black coat and took out his keys. "Thank you for meeting up with me today... I know it couldn't have been easy for you." I stayed silent, knowing that he was going to say something more. "I understand if after today you don't call me again... but, if there's any chance that you do, it would mean a lot to Barbara and I if you stopped by the house sometime. I'm sure Gabriel will be so excited to meet you." His face fell slightly as he looked away to his dark grey Mercedes. "We're only one call away if you ever do decide to talk me again."

I watched silently as he climbed into his expensive car with hands deep in pockets.

I stood there in the parking lot, thinking about today with a little smile. The soft engine turned on and purred a few feet away from my small figure. I didn't know how or why but for some reason, I walked myself over to his car again and knocked on the window gently; I was afraid that if I hit it a little harder, the high-priced glass would break.

My father's face seemed more than surprised when he rolled down his window to meet me once more.

"Is something wrong?" His brows creased in worry.

"No," I let go of my weak smile and looked down at the concrete beneath me. "I do want to meet them..." I tell him truthfully. "We might not have the best relationship, but I would like the opportunity to know my brother and maybe... work our issues out, too... if that's what you want, of course." I spoke timidly through the space in the window.

"...I would really like that." He grinned. "Is it okay if I call you sometime soon?"

"I look forward to it." I step back from the car, smiling, relieved I said what I did.

When my father had waved me goodbye one last time, I began to walk back to my car a few feet away. After I reached it, I noticed that I didn't have my bag with me anymore. Worry hovered over me like a personal thundercloud above my head as I searched around, even looking through the window of the passenger seat to see if it was there. But it wasn't. I must have left it inside the coffee shop. I thought.

With a sigh, I turn on my feet again and headed back to the café, each time pacing quicker, worrying that someone might have taken it by now. I took my steps back to the table, however, as soon as I turned the corner that revealed the table we were at, I almost tripped over my own feet trying to stop so quickly.