Chapter 29

His breathing seemed to ease under my touch, his limbs no longer shivering to the wave of his thoughts. And as I held him, calming him the only way I knew how, my heart shattered for him. I knew what this was like and I didn't wish it on anybody, not even my worst enemy.

"Aiden?" I whispered his name, trying my best not alarm him.

He continued to hold me tightly, not yet giving me a sign that he was ready to let go, so I let him stay there for a little while longer, knowing his breathing began to slow and his sobs were barely that.

"Aiden?" I called again, and this time, his grip on my sweater loosened.

His head shifted and moved away from me, sitting against the bookshelf and rubbing his face, wiping the dread from his face.

"I'm sorry you had to see that... you shouldn't-" He began, hiding his face from me. "I won't be a burden to you."

I looked down at my thighs and thought for a moment.

"You know, when my mother had panic attacks, we usually went for a drive and explored a part of the town we hadn't discovered yet. It was the only way I could take her mind off from the things that haunted her."

"I'm not haunted by anything." He said coldly, and then finally, he looked at me.

I could barely stand the sight of his worn out face and drawn eyes. There was something about them that screamed for help, yet kept to themselves in panic. They were sunken, shedding a thousand tears before them.

"Nevertheless, thank you. Thank you for..." He breathed lightly. "For being here."

I smiled at him, small and understandingly. Then I stood up and held my hands out for him to hold on to.

"How do you feel about exploring?"

Aiden looked up at me with knitted brows. "What?"

"Come on, Blackwood. Don't tell me you're afraid of a little nature." I teased gently, aware of the emotional strain he was just through.

"It's not that." He shook his head. "I don't understand... why."

I considered my next answer carefully.

"I was always taught to treat people with kindness no matter who they are or what they've done. Even if sometimes, they may not deserve it." I smiled and nodded towards my extended hands. "Are you going to leave me hanging forever?"

Aiden stared at me, blank from any expression. Then, he placed his large hands into mine and picked himself up from the floor. He was more composed now, tall but not his usual stern self.

I went back to where I had been studying and packed up my things, Aiden following close behind, however not saying a word.

While we made our way outside of the library, I looked through my busted bag for my car keys. The task was particularly difficult since my hands were cold and unsteady. Yet, when Aiden saw me struggling he offered to look for them himself. I didn't say anything while I handed the bag to him, though I was questioning his intentions, wondering if he would take this as an advantage to look through my belongings and mock me like he had done before.

"Would you like me to drive?" Harmlessly, he handed me the bag again.

"Do you have a specific place you want to go to?"

"I have one in mind. I haven't been before, but I've wanted to go for a while. It's tranquil." He added, "I think you might like it."

I nodded and hugged the bag to my chest.