Chapter 59

Final exams. The thing that had haunted me and stressed me and continuously chewed me up only spat me back out during November.

For the most part, I was prepared. The lesser part, not so much. I knew the content. I remembered most of the things I had stayed up late studying and revising in the morning. But as I walked up to the large building on campus, I began to question how to spell my own last name.

I had done all sorts of tests my whole life, every year, and I never failed any of them. I had my own system of learning new things, and over the years, I perfected that technique. However, this was college, no matter how many times Aiden told me that the 'college' part didn't matter; That it was just another simple test.

I knew he was right, but the nerves and shaky breaths came anyway. I muttered to myself as I pushed through the building doors, stepping into the otherwise crowded space. This was the first exam of the day. I had another in four hours I didn't dare allow myself to think about. I needed to approach this one at a time. If I thought about the stress that awaited me throughout the week, I would probably have an anxiety attack right in the middle of the auditorium, which I had entered to find a seat.

"Alright, guys," the professor at the front of the room shouted. "I'm going to hand out the stack of exams to the people seated at the front. You will take one and pass the rest of the stack to the person behind you. If someone gets skipped, please let me know, and we will get you one." He went on, "If you don't have a pen, I have some at the front. Once everyone has their test, we can start."

As he explained his instructions, my heart raced faster, smacking against my ribcage. My palms began to sweat, the back of my knees already starting to feel damp. I shifted in my seat and gripped the pen I had taken out of my bag in my hand. I watched restlessly as people closest to the front were handed the stack of exam papers, and they were passed on to the people seated behind them.

When the stack reached me, I stared at the front page. I swallowed thickly and inhaled as far as I could.

"Hey, can you pass them over?" A girl behind me whispered. If she was as nervous as I was, she did not show it. I nodded and took my paper, handing the rest to her.

Once everyone had their exam, the professor received the spares and leaned against the table, peering up at the clock hung on the wall above the whiteboard. "Alright, everyone," he said, "The test lasts an hour and a half. You may begin."

Ninety excruciating minutes.

My pen decided to run out of ink halfway through. I reached for my bag to take out my emergency pen (I always carry an emergency pen), only to find out that one had spilled ink all over the bottom of my bag. I wasn't even close to finishing my exam, which meant I couldn't afford any lost time. I then turned to the girl seated behind me and quickly explained to her my situation. She happily gave me her spare.

I faced the half-filled page and began answering each question with another shaky breath.

The rest of the week passed almost the same, with the only exceptions being the lack of pens. So after that first exam, I went out and bought a whole packet of ten black inked pens for five dollars.

Each night I returned to my apartment, Aiden would be waiting for me outside the door, sitting on the ground and leaning against the wall. He carried coffee and sandwiches in a bag. And every time I saw him, I wanted nothing more than to wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him, then cry from the stress. But I didn't. I thanked him with a kiss and spent the rest of my nights with him. One, in particular, I had gotten a phone call from Barbara.