Chapter 58

It was a lovely, warm night despite the recent cold weather populating the rain clouds. Bright lightbulbs and stone paths guided many late shoppers through the long market street. Every little tent or store we passed by had a life of its own, decorated with handmade items like bracelets and fabrics, to rugs and plastic toys. Thin trees offered shelter from the gentle breeze carrying the scent of fried food and flowers.

Aiden walked alongside me in his black jeans and white plain shirt. It had taken me about half an hour to convince him that it might be an enjoyable night if he just gave it a chance. After hearing his conversation with Lars, I pretended like I hadn't heard anything when we came back upstairs to his room. He didn't ask about it, and I did not bring it up either. It hadn't seemed to affect him the way I thought it would. There was a chance that he would have tried to push me again, but he hadn't. Whether that was progress or denial, I was not sure.

As I peered through a market stall to glance at the small, chiselled marble statues, my phone rang. I fetched it from my back pocket and answered Will's call. "Hey, Will. We're here. Where are you?"

"Kaylie had trouble picking an outfit, so we're running a little late, but we're almost there. And if Aiden asks, tell him I will run him over with my car if he even thinks about leaving."

I chuckled and hung up, placing my phone back in my pocket.

"Was that William?" Aiden turned his head from a stall showcasing books and looked down at me with big grey eyes.

"Yes. He says they'll be here soon."

Aiden shook his head. "I bet William said something about me, didn't he?"

"Maybe, but it's not so bad here," I said and gestured to the lovely scenery before us. "Look how many things there are to see. So many stalls and interesting things inside them."

"You don't have to keep convincing me, Emma. I'm already here." His lips twitched upward, fighting a smile. "Do you see anything you like?"

"Mm, nothing has caught my eye yet, but I'm sure I'll find something." I smiled and continued to roam the endless street with Aiden beside me. He had always been tall, but tonight he seemed taller. His hair wasn't styled any particular way, and yet, he looked just as handsome as when he did. Every spare minute I wasn't engrossed by an unusual stand, I was looking at him. And every time I did, my heart beat faster against my chest.

Within the next few minutes, Will had announced his arrival. We decided to meet a little ways further from where Aiden and I had been wandering. Passing lights and many people, I spotted Will's full head of hair between the gathering crowd. I noticed his smile first, wide and bright. His eyes were searching the same way mine had been. He tugged at his jacket collar, fixing it when his head turned to look at the light-haired girl beside him. It was as if the world suddenly brightened in his gaze when the woman smiled back.

"Please be nice," I said to Aiden.

"I'm always nice." He shot me an all-too-familiar smile.

"Please?" I insisted.

"Alright," He muttered. "I'll just be myself." I gave him a look that made him grin. "What? I can't be myself?"

"Just be nice!" I smiled. "Come on,"

Aiden and I neared William and the girl I suspected to be Kaylie. When he spotted me, he said a few words I didn't catch and then, "Emma, there you are!"

"Hi, Will." I grinned and turned to the girl next to him. She was beautiful, with her light brown hair styled behind her ears. Her eyes were an interesting mixture between amber and brown, like fall on a cloudy day. Her petite figure was wrapped in a lovely floral dress with black flats.