Chapter 56

It turns out that the remaining hours of the month of October were probably some of the most interesting. Even though I knew, deep down, that Aiden wasn't entirely forthcoming about the events in his life, I decided that, at least for now, I wouldn't pressure him for answers. I understood why he hid them from me out of fear, but I still couldn't come face to face with the fact that Aiden didn't trust me. Maybe I was hypocritical, but there was nothing else I could say to convince him that trusting me wouldn't hurt him. After all, I had already shared my most vulnerable moments with him. Maybe that made me naïve and foolish. Maybe I wanted to trust him so desperately that I felt the need to explain every defining moment in my life.

Sure, I told him about my ex and the problems I had with my family growing up until this moment, but that was as far as my life events went. I wasn't half as secretive as Aiden was. I concluded that the only way he would talk to me about his past was by giving him time and showing him that I wasn't going anywhere. I had also decided that when it came down to it, after giving Aiden time and space and anything he needed for him to trust me, that if he still didn't... I didn't entertain that thought. There was an odd amount of sadness that came with that idea.

I wanted to hold onto all the good moments that Aiden and I shared. All the times he was sweet and called me beautiful, or the lengths he went to so he could share the things I liked, or the efforts he made to comfort me when I cried. College is stressful enough as it is, even when you do well in your classes and barely meet the deadline of your assignments. However, it's that much worse when you juggle a job on top of it.

There were a few embarrassing moments during the month where I crumbled under pressure. I submitted a project for my culture class with tears in my eyes - I understood William in that moment, which had made me laugh - But not once did Aiden ever leave my side. He insisted on helping me every chance he got, made coffee when we stayed up late and covered me in a blanket when I fell asleep on the couch. Slowly, and unsurprisingly, he became my comfort during the chaos.

Sometimes, I would be trying to take notes during class and catch myself thinking about him and the plans we'd made for that afternoon. He continuously intruded on my thoughts more times than I wished to admit. I could never find a reason why.

After our night on Halloween, something shifted between us – something endearing and new that caused him to seem a little brighter, a little livelier than in the past. I wasn't sure what it was, or rather why it was, but the fact was: I didn't care. Aiden had become open enough to compromise one of his conditions.

"What about, instead of holding hands, we could link arms?" I suggested.

He mulled over my offer for such a long time that I began to retract it, quickly moving on to another topic to hide the awkward silence when he cut me off.

"I guess we could do that. I don't see why not." His words had caught me so off guard I almost tripped over the curb as we walked down the street.

As December exams inched closer until they were only a few weeks away, everything around me somehow seemed heightened. William sometimes came around the apartment and joined Aiden and me in our study sessions. At first, there were loud protests from both, bickering and debating, too. Luckily after a few weeks, they tolerated each other's presence, not wholly, but enough that we were able to actually get some work done. One time, I was caught smiling at them as they worked collaboratively.

"What?" Will flicked his eyes between Aiden and me when he heard my laugh as if he was missing out on some practical joke.

"Nothing." I shrugged, muffling my smile. "I just think you two make a cute couple when you're not arguing."

William and Aiden were more like an old married couple rather than a cute one, as I had put it. Either way, they both looked at each other with scowls and went back to their tasks like the other didn't exist.