Chapter 4. Lertrel

Hud: Pardos

Hud shuffled slowly through the cold night air. He was on Lertrel, a small frozen 'freeland' planet owned by the Strams.

Off in the distance a dark alien cargo ship slowly cut through an icy river, probably delivering more booze to the various pubs in the grim area. He slowly walked over to a cold metal fence-like rail that stood between him and the large dark river.

Hud was alone on the dark street, except for maybe a few thieves and brutes lurking around the dark corners. But Hud wasn't worried about the local thugs; they had much better things to do than pick a fight with a male Pardos.

Plus, Hud wasn't alone.

He glanced down at the thick metal tube that he continually kept strapped to his chest. The mechanism hummed happily, almost like it was purring.

It was Natilliea. If Hud didn't scare off the thugs, she would.

He enjoyed the fresh air while he could. It wouldn't be too long before the Rhaa would come and get him.

The Rhaa sickened him. The whole species was filled with an unquenchable, violent hatred for the other species of the Pentaverse. But unlike some of the other vicious creatures of the Pentaverse, the Rhaa played by the rules.

Hud chuckled in disgust; that wasn't true. The Rhaa knew the rules and bent and twisted them to their advantage. And if they couldn't force the rules to do what they wanted, they broke them in secret and killed or bribed whoever might stand in the way.

That was part of what they wanted Hud for. Breaking the rules. If the Rhaa found someone or something too hindering or irritating, Hud would go and bump them off, under the table style.

Hud hated it.

But if he left the Rhaa, he would have to leave Natilliea with them.

Most of the time the Rhaa left Hud alone. They would let him roam around and do whatever he wanted as long as he laid low. Then, when they needed him again, they would pick him up and send him in the direction they wanted.

Hud had a good record with the Rhaa so far; they didn't mind him sitting in his filthy bar and picking small fights with the cocky local urchins, so his breaks were usually lengthy and for the most part Rhaa free. Hud liked it that way.

Unfortunately his time was up now; they needed him again, and this was the night they would fetch him.

Hud pushed his thoughts away from the Rhaa, he would be with them soon enough.

He watched the icy water flow through the river below him.

The air was frigid and he wasn't wearing much. He had nothing on him except for his baggy pair of pants and Natilliea strapped around his chest, but he didn't mind. The Pardos didn't get cold as easily.

The only reason he wore the dirty pants was for the Humans he hung out with. The Pardos culture was to live in total nudity, but for some reason Humans had a difficult time talking to Hud while he was naked. He liked Humans, so he wore pants.

Suddenly a portal appeared next to him on the street. Free time was up.

"Return to the fleet immediately, Hud." Said the portal gruffly. It was Gaunth's voice, the Rhaa appointed to be Hud's personal babysitter.

Hud snarled at the portal, turning his face back towards the water.

"Hud. Don't do this." Said the voice with less patience. "It's not like you have a choice anyway."

Gaunth was an older Rhaa who seemed more subtle and nonchalant than the rest of his bloodthirsty race.

Hud didn't hate Gaunth. He was the only Rhaa Hud could actually stand being around. In fact, it seemed some days that Gaunth was on Hud's side rather than the Rhaa's.