Chapter 20. Pareyline

Lliui: Stram

Major Lliui Iuill Lliui marched into the research tent, pushing past a couple of conversing scientists, sending them stumbling away. He promptly received some harsh glares and some muttered words of dislike. His assistant, the Human Lieutenant Hoff, followed close behind, apologizing to the two now irritated researchers.

Officer Lliui didn't feel sorry for his brashness, although the thought did occur to him that he was being unfair; the researchers were doing the best they knew how.

Their best just wasn't cutting the cheese right now.

He walked to the back of the tent and threw open the curtain dividing the main open area from Professor Nazir's 'personal' study area. The professor was there, reading over some notes at a small desk.

The professor was a Kaptoy, with light green skin and an enormously ballooned upper head. He sat at his desk wearing a protective white lab coat that was long enough to brush lightly against the ground as he sat.

At his side was a long table with an Aiter strapped to it. The robotic being jerked periodically, thrashing against it's restraints.

Standing over the Aiter was a female Cito scientist who glared at the Officer as he marched in. She immediately proceeded to grab her few belongings and walk out of the tent in a huff.

Must not have the best reputation with the scientist community. Getting lots of glares lately. Officer Lliui thought, frowning.

No matter.

Officer Lliui Iuill Lliui was a Strammart. His skin was light grayish and he had a long, thick neck and a bubbled head. He had six eyes, three on each side of his head, and a large mouth that overflowed with sharp glistening teeth. Apparently Stram's were not a very popular species in the Pentaverse, although Officer Lliui couldn't understand why. He thought he was pretty cool.

"Well?" Officer Lliui demanded. The Professor looked up in surprise, his large head smacking the back of the tent's canvas. He must not have noticed the officer as he came in.

"Oh, hello Officer Lliui Ill..uill...ullluil Lliiui." The Kaptoy smiled, having slaughtered the punctuation of the officer's name. "My that's a tough one to say." He laughed awkwardly. "Please come right in."

Officer Lliui stared at him expectantly, ignoring the invitation. He was already in the tent.

"Ah, you would probably like to hear about our progress, is that correct?" Asked the professor as he studied the officer's face.

"No," said the officer sarcastically, bearing his sharp shark like teeth, "I came by to have a nice, friendly... chat."

Lieutenant Hoff shuffled nervously from behind him. The little Human always got anxious when Lliui was rude.

"Oh!" Smiled the professor. "Well then in that case, please pull up a seat, tell me a bit about your life! How are you?"

"That was sarcasm Professor Nazir you dim wit, we have important matters to discuss!" Shouted Officer Lliui impatiently.

The professor looked hurt. "...No, officer, your life is a very important matter, in fact—"

"Professor Nazir! You know why I am here and it is not to have a friendly chat with you about my life, or to have a friendly chat with you about anything! Now get on with it and report to me on your progress with the Aiters!"

"Well." Muttered the professor, putting his notes down and standing up from his desk. "My apologies for trying to be a little gregarious."

Officer Lliui watched him as the professor stood up from his desk and walked over to the restrained Aiter. "Well then, to begin our rather unfriendly chat about the Aiters, have a look at this one, Officer." He said, clearing his throat and gesturing to the robot on the table.