Chapter 49. Gnumus

Tyler: Human

"By Ruolten..." Gasped Bai as she joined them, gaping at the heaps of dead Circuit bodies. "It's... I don't understand..."

They looked at the lifeless body of the Queen.

"...Short." Growled Jirabi, his fists clenched in hatred.

"No Malba, think." Said Byralnus patiently. "How could Short possibly have done this? He was with us practically the entire time."

"Well then who??" Jirabi said in frustration. "We've gotten no closer to ending all these deaths. Now, even the Queen is dead and we have no clue as to who did it!"

Byralnus peered down at the large pile in thought. "We need to get back to Short. We can ask him about this, and see what his reaction is."

Bai turned away from the pile in disgust. "Guys, I can't be in here any more. I'm feeling sick."

Tyler was starting to feel nauseous as well, though she continued to examine the mountain of Circuit bodies.

This didn't make sense. Whatever was doing this, somehow it was able to enter the Circuit ship and kill off all of the Circuits, then bring all the bodies back here into this cave. Who or what could have done this??

Ishnook? Thought Tyler, looking for some added insight.

This is very curious for me as well, my lady. Said the voice of Ishnook. I wish I could give you some solution. There must be some kind of a motive that we just can't...

"Come on, Jacobs." Called Bryalnus gently from her side. "Let's get away from this."

Tyler nodded and turned away.

The team began walking towards the cave's bright entrance behind them. Bai and Jirabi were discussing their astonishment with hushed voices while Byralnus and Heva slowly moved forward in silence.

Mistress. Ishnook said suddenly with slight alarm. I think I know who could have done this.

What?? Though Tyler hurriedly. Who??

Do you remember what I told you? There is a very bad Bovase, a Bovase that would do anything—

Suddenly there was a slight clatter in the alcove behind them, the sound of something falling from the pile. The sound was so unexpected that it sent a chill down Tyler's spine.

She turned around in alarm as the sound increased, growing louder.

Tyler watched in amazement and terror as the bodies of the dead Circuits began stacking together by themselves.

The din of metal clapping together reverberated off of the cave walls, making Tyler grab at her ears in pain. Large shards of metal that Tyler had not noticed before joined the pile as a distinguishable form began to take shape.

It struck Tyler that the way that the form rose from the bodies reminded her of Ishnook.

Mistress! Said Ishnook in alarm. This is not good, we need to leave. Get you and your friends out of here quickly!

Tyler turned, her eyes wide and heart racing. "Get our guys! Get out!!" She screamed at the rest of the team. Bai was already on her way to the exit, Bryalnus and Jirabi were gapping at the formation but quickly turned with Heva and Tyler. Without hesitation they all raced towards the small opening.

Suddenly a thick shard of metal smashed into the stone directly above the thin opening, causing the crevice to collapse in a pile of rocks. Fortunately none of them were at the entrance yet, but a couple of them were close. She could hear several of her teammates yell out in surprise and jump out of the way as the rocks began to tumble above them.

The last of the rocks clattered to the ground and the group coughed as the dust filtered down from the rubble.

Tyler looked around. There was a small amount of light still penetrating through the now blocked opening, but it was too small to get through now. They were sealed in. The cave was now silent.

Tyler then turned back to look at the pile of Circuits and yelped in surprise.

Before them stood an enormous creature,  hideously formed out of the Circuit bodies and black ooze. The monstrosity looked to Tyler like a huge centipede, with scaly metallic skin and large chunks of metal for it's slender legs.

On its head was formed a face. Two beady Circuit eyes stood out above a large, gaping mouth. What looked like thin razor teeth were the twisted lifeline poles of the lined up bodies.

The creature was looming over them, one of it's deadly arms was arched over them and embedded in the rock pile it had just created.

Although alltogether repulsive, Tyler could not help but maintain her attention on the huge monstrosity. The way that the dead Circuit bodies fluctuated in sequence as the creature moved was grotesquely mesmerizing.

The creature's face twisted into a malicious smile as the monster withdrew it's sharpened claw from the rock.

"Hello again, my alien friends." Grinned the creature. It's voice was soft and snakelike, mixed with the grinding of metal and the gurgle of thick oil.

Ishnook's voice was nothing more than a shaken whisper in Tyler's head.

...it's him... the Bovase. It's Arbol Ikagoss.