IX

Dinner dragged on for hours, Amora, who was quietly munching on her cake, was desperate to stand up and stretch her legs, but she knew she couldn't until the King announced the first dance.

She could barely sit down anyway, the metal crinoline making it very difficult to rest comfortably. She sipped on her tea, silently praying for King Richard to announce the end of the meal.

Many people tried to speak to her, after all the ball is for her and Epiales, but she spent her entire life isolated within her pack and didn't know how to communicate with such a large group of people without being awkward.

"So, Luna Amora, how did you and Alpha Epiales meet? Was it love at first sight?" A young woman wearing a very frilly yellow dress asked her, leaning over the table with a large smile on her face.

Amora froze, still holding her cup, "well I-I um, we just..."

"We met at Alpha Lincoln's pack where I was visiting for some business," Epiales cuts in, gently taking the, now empty, cup away from Amora's hands and setting it down.

"That's a name you don't hear often! How is Alpha Lincoln?" The older man sitting next to the woman asked the pair.

"Oh he is doing just fine," Amora grumbled under her breath.

"He is very secretive, but you know what? I think you, Alpha Henderson, should go down there! I hear he's looking to do some business with another pack," Epiales smirked.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is now my pleasure to announce the newly found mates, Luna Amora and Alpha Epiales', first dance!" King Richard boomed, servants already flooding in to clear the plates away.

It was now that Amora realised she had absolutely no dance training and she had no clue what she was going to do.

"Epiales! I can't dance," she hissed quietly as he took her hand in his and led her to the dance floor.

"I know, I don't think the King was worried about that, just follow my lead and it will be fine," he murmured, placing a hand on her back and clasping her other in his again as she places her free hand on his shoulder.

The soft classical music started to play, filling the silence that remained in the room.

Epiales began to move and Amora struggled to keep up with him, but he held on to her, guiding her through his movements.

"The King expects us to be more...intimate," Epiales mumbled coldly, pulling Amora closer as his movements slowed.

Amora ignored his tone and rested her head on his chest, feeling his racing heartbeat.

She heard Epiales sigh and stroke her waist gently, running his hand up and down her back as they sway together time with the music.

Amora wanted to tell him that this is how it's meant to be, they're meant to be this intimate without him pushing her away but she refused to let herself ruin the moment.

She hated herself for staying and continuously letting herself get hurt, but every time she feels his skin on hers, when he looks in her eyes, or when she hears his voice, she's glad she's there to experience it. Every single time.

The music slowly came to a stop and Amora lifted her head, expecting Epiales to immediately let go of her but he didn't, he continued to hold her and sway slowly, he even pulled her closer so that their chests were touching, their breathing becoming synced.

"That was the song they played at my Alpha ceremony," he mumbled, looking down into her sparkling eyes.

"Oh, did it upset you?" she asked quietly, sensing the King approaching them.