XVII

"Stop!" Amora screeched, her eyes widened in horror as the rope is pulled around her mate's neck.

She desperately tried to pull away from the strong hold the guard had on her arm, but he would not budge.

"Tell me who you marked," Richard growled in Epiales' ear, tightening the rope.

Epiales stood his ground, glaring down at him from the small platform he was forced to stand on.

"Tell me right now or I swear to the goddess above that I will kick you off this platform and force your mate to watch your neck snap instantly."

Epiales' eyes immediately shot to Amora once again and his wolf let out a vicious growl at the sight of the guard holding her so roughly.

"I don't know," Epiales snarled, his voice deep as he struggled for breath.

Richard pulled on the rope tighter, "you do not know?"

"I don't know! It was just a random woman."

"It was most likely a servant then," Richard grinned, letting go of the rope, "well then, the problem is solved, isn't it? The execution continues!"

"No!" Amora screamed out, her eyes bloodshot and her hair wild as she clawed at the guard's arm.

"You are willing to let one of your people die a painful death, King?"

Richard ignored him and stood back, waiting to give the executioner his signal.

Panic began to settle within Epiales as he turned his gaze to Amora.

"I love you," he mouthed, watching her face contort in horror as she realized there is nothing she can do.

"I love you too," she mouthed back, tears cascading down her flushed skin.

Richard nodded to the executioner and Epiales' gaze stayed on Amora as he took a final breath.

"Stop!" A young woman cried out, rushing onto the courtyard, "it is I who has been marked."

Richard spun around and his face dropped, "you?"

The woman nodded, turning to stare at Epiales, "you must release Epiales, I am not dying today."

Richard's face paled as he motioned for the executioner to release Epiales.

Epiales is dropped to the ground and he doesn't waste a second before running towards Amora, swinging at the guard, who still has an iron grip on her arm, so hard he falls to the ground unmoving.

He grabbed her by the waist, pulling her in so close that she could feel his heartbeat slamming against his ribs.

He opened his mouth to speak but no words came out, he ignited with sparks as her skin touched his, the sparks dancing between them. He had no idea what to say, he just had to be close to her.

Amora sobbed against his chest, her arms tightly wrapped around him and Epiales holds her just as tight.

"You love me?" Amora sobbed into his torn shirt, grabbing onto it as she fell to her knees, clinging to him desperately.

"Of course I do, I was a blind fool to not realize it before," Epiales croaked, running his bruised hands through her hair.

"I love you so much, I thought I was going to lose you forever."

"It's alright, I'm right here."

They stood together, in silence, just holding each other until their reunion was interrupted.

"Seize them both! And bring me the girl," Richard bellowed.

Guards instantly surrounded them, tearing them apart violently and Epiales was forced to stand and watch as Amora was dragged towards the King.

Richard grabbed her chin roughly, forcing her to look up at him, "as Luna of the Silverlake pack, I suspect you were involved in this crime, therefore as King I herby order for the execution of Amora Cain."

It was Epiales' turn to shout in horror, thrashing in the guards' hold to try to get to her.

"She did not do anything! It was all my idea! Release her!" He shouted furiously, his throat aching.

Richard ignored him and continued to look at Amora, "it's a shame really, such a beautiful woman, too bad your time has come to an end, paying for your mate's crimes."

"Please do not do this," Amora whispered, her heart pounding.

"Funny how things turn out, isn't it, Luna?" Richard smirked, "take her to the platform."

"Please! Don't do this!" She screamed out as she was lifted onto the platform, the rope swinging in front of her face tormentingly.

She heard Epiales grunting and her eyes shot up to see bodies of the guards dropped around him, completely unconscious, he held a long silver sword as he ran full speed at the King.

Amora watched in shock, unable to react as Epiales leaped forward, screaming out in anger as he plunged the sword deep into the King's back, not stopping until it came out bloody on the other side of his body.

The King's body fell to the floor as Epiales ripped the sword out of his body, towering over him as blood spluttered out of Richard's mouth.

"Funny how things turn out, isn't it, Richard?" Epiales spat, pressing his foot down on the bloody hole near his ribs.

Richard wailed out in pain, grabbing Epiales' ankle, desperately trying to release the pressure.

Epiales pressed down harder, feeling the crunch of Richard's bones underneath his boot, watching him gasp out for breath.

From behind him, Amora kicked the executioner off the platform and onto the concrete ground before running towards her mate.

She stood directly behind him, her eyes focused on the King and she watched his eyes roll back as he took his last breath before he was gone, his golden crown tumbled onto the ground as his head fell over, falling into the puddle of blood surrounding them.

Many guards came rushing onto the courtyard, yelling out and wielding their swords.

"Epiales, the guards! What are we going to do?" Amora whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Epiales reached down to grab the bloodied crown, placing it onto his head.

He turned around, facing the guards running at them, he shouted at them, his voice traveling across the whole castle, "stop!"

They halted instantly, their eyes catching the gory crown.

"I am your King now! You are under my rule."