XXVI

"She's alone? In England...without Epiales?" The shadowed figure asked, looking unconvinced.

Alessa nodded, "she ran back here, she's hiding somewhere."

"And why are you telling me this?"

"I need her out of the equation. Epiales will never stop trying to find a way to get rid of me as long as she is out there."

The man nodded, grinning at her, "perfect."

________________________________________

Amora sat under the tree, her eyes bloodshot and swollen as she stared at the sky, looking at the moon.

She wanted to run back into his arms. She wanted to slap him across the face and make him get down on his knees and apologise and even that wouldn't be enough. But above everything, all she wanted was to love him. She knew he loved her, he just couldn't love her for the right reasons.

She pulled out a piece of paper and a pen she was gifted from a friendly villager a few months ago and began writing without thinking.

She didn't bother wiping away her tears as the droplets fell onto the paper. She folded it up and addressed it to the castle, holding it close until she found out a way to get it to him. She planned to sneak it into a village and hope someone would deliver it for her.

Jealousy took over her emotions as she pictured Epiales and the mysterious woman laying together in the bed where she once lay with him. She pictured him burying himself into her as his mind ridded all the memories he had of her as he kissed another woman. Worst of all, she pictured him falling out of love with her.

She knew the best thing for her would be to let him go, but the thought sounded unbearable to her. She was not ready to let him go even though she knew their story had come to an end. She wasn't prepared to face the fact that he would never choose her over the crown. She wasn't prepared to face the fact that soulmates aren't always destined to have happy endings.

What had she done to deserve this? Her parents had disappeared from her life, not leaving her so much as a name when they dumped her on the doorstep of a pack. Her Alpha died when she needed him most and her life became full of misery when Lincoln took control of it, and the misery continued when the person who was meant to make her the happiest in the world could not even bear to hold her hand.

Her hands shook with anger as she clenched her fists. She did not deserve to be miserable any longer. She had every right to be furious with the world. She could not catch a break and now she was finally free of everything and she was wasting it by sobbing under a tree in the woods over someone who probably was not even thinking of her anymore.

She stood up, wiping away the dirt from her skirt and picked up her basket, taking her time to walk through the forest and admire the scenery around her. She was finally alone. She could finally learn to be happy. She would not need anyone anymore.

________________________________________

Epiales glared, holding himself back from ripping the crown off of Alessa's head as she paraded around the castle, shouting orders at everyone.

He couldn't do anything without having Amora's life threatened. He couldn't risk any harm coming her way, so he reluctantly obeyed Alessa's every command. The only thing on his mind is finding his true mate and getting rid of Alessa for good.

She walked up to him, her face emotionless as she dragged him upstairs and into a random bedroom. She leaned up to kiss him when Epiales turned away.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" He asked furiously.

"I am kissing my mate, what else does it look like?" She fumed.

"As I've told you many times before, you are not my mate."

"And as I've told you repeatedly, you marked me! That mark ensures our bond." She looked him up and down, "that mark means that even if you don't like it, you're attracted to me. You are bonded to me."

Epiales froze, realising that she might be right, marks develop a bond between two people, ensuring their attraction. He pondered over it and that was when he realised no matter how much he thought about it, he truly was not attracted to the woman in front of him in the slightest. In fact, the closer he was to her, the more his heart begged for Amora.

"You're wrong," he spat, walking out the door.

He walked into the room he and Amora once shared, desperately searching for anything of hers he could hold. When he found nothing, he realised he had truly dragged her out of her life and into his without anything. She had absolutely nothing but had put up with it, for him.

He angrily punched the wall, throwing the paintings to the floor and ripping off the bed sheets. He was so selfish and blind to her misery. Now, being stuck here with Alessa, watching her control everything made him realise how wrong he was. He wanted her to be happy. He couldn't fathom the idea that she wasn't happy living in a castle, surrounded by riches. But now he understood, all she wanted was him and now, all he wanted was her.

He left the room, not bothering to look back at the mess he created and marched downstairs, preparing himself to face the chaos Alessa was creating.

"Epiales, a letter came for you," a servant mumbled, slowly passing it over to him, not daring to life his head. He looked over to see Alessa too busy shouting at one of the chefs to notice him.

"Thank you," he spoke, forcing a smile and taking the letter and opening it.

His heart stopped as he immediately recognised her hand-writing. It was Amora.

'I should not be writing to you. I should not even be thinking about you. I know you are happy now that you have what you want. I do love you Epiales, I mean that. Leaving was meant to be easy because we were so miserable, but everyday it gets harder and harder not to run home into your arms. I know you love me, but as long as you are in power we can never be happy together and I do not want to be the one to take that away from you. Perhaps we will meet again one day in another life. Goodbye Epiales.'

He could not hold back his own tears as his thumb gently traced over the dried teardrops on the paper. She was saying goodbye to him. She thought he was happy without her but she couldn't have been more wrong.