Chapter 12

Seeing my father for the first time is like meeting a stranger. My father looks different from the time I last I saw him. As he gestures for me to walk in his office I notice that he is wearing casual dress pants, a blue button-up shirt, and flat tan leather shoes. The difference I see in my father is his hair, it is dark chestnut like mine but now some grey hairs peak all around his head. His face looks worn with age possibly from working so long at his company and partly having to deal with my stepmother. Up until I left my house a few years ago, my father and stepmother would occasionally argue over money. It was not a surprise after she convinced him to buy this house because she would get whatever she wants.

"I really needed to talk to you, Nat." He looks at me with the same brown eyes we share. I notice that he has been addressing me by my nickname. I only reserve that name for family and close friends. The way he uses my nickname sounds foreign.

"Then tell me what it's about?" I ask wanting to know his reason to have me over despite dreading this visit.

He gestures for me to sit in one of the office chairs which I do so. He then looks at Xander and my stepmother.

"I would like to speak to her alone if you don't mind." My father says and my stepmother rolls her eyes in annoyance and walks outside of the room. I can hear the click of her heels echo down the hallway. Xander lingers and I give him an encouraging nod for him to leave and that I will be okay. Before he leaves he squeezes my hand in reassurance then exits the room.

"I never thought you would bring someone over." My father comments as he sits by his desk.

"Yeah, that's Xander he's my...friend." I don't know who he is to me because I haven't established official titles with him. My father nods in my response and I wait for him to speak but he doesn't. "What do you want to talk about?" I impatiently ask.

"Do you remember Mr. Miller?" My father asks and I'm caught off guard by his abrupt question. 

"Yes. Henry Miller, he is the head of another startup company that's just like yours." I say while trying to remember Mr. Miller.

"Correct! He is head of the Miller Company." My father states.

"Why do you ask about him? I thought we are going to discuss a family matter?" Annoyed I ask.

"Patient Nat, trust me this all ties in together." He says trying to cease any further questions I have.

"Fine. Go on." I say trying to move this conversation along. I really don't want to be here but I hate that he is taking forever to say what he wants to discuss with me.

"As you know my company has been doing well for the past few years and as CEO, I always look out for my company's future. One of my main concerns is always security and one of the ways to secure the future of my company is to seek a merger with another well-off company. I figured Miller's company would be the best candidate considering it's been standing for well over 10 years. I brought the idea to Mr. Miller himself and he was hesitant about my company because it has been in business less time than his. However, I created a well thought out contract to merge with his company and he said he would agree to the terms but only if I met his condition." He explains.

"What condition?" I ask looking into my father's eyes. 

My father takes a deep breathe, "His condition is non-negotiable but he insists." He says.

"Get to the point," I say with more impatience.

"His condition in order to merge with my company is that he would want to marry my oldest daughter." He says and my jaw hits the floor. I try to take in his words. Why am I so stupid to think he and my stepfamily were going to try to change their ways. All he wanted to talk about was the merger and insist I married in order to keep his company afloat. I'm such a fool for hoping.