Chapter 34

It's been nearly three weeks and Xander has been recovering much faster than expected. His divorce was going to be settled in court because Olivia's father wanted it done that way. I was told by Olivia that she didn't want to go through the court but her father insisted. 

When the day arrived for Xander's divorce settlement, Xander had asked me to join him. I agreed to go because I wanted to support him. I woke up that morning feeling optimistic that the court would allow Xander to keep his fortune and his company. 

The ride to the courthouse was silent because neither of us was prepared for the judge's decision. As we get closer towards the entrance, I notice a dozen reporters stationed in front of the courthouse. I should have known they would be here. Xander reaches to hold my hand as we begin to walk in the reporter's view. I'm thankful for his gesture because as soon as we reach the entrance people start snapping photos and begin calling out his name for attention. 

We move quickly inside so we could avoid the slew of questions regarding his divorce. I heard from Trina the many rumors regarding Xander's divorce. Most of the rumors say that I have something to do with the divorce but I try my best to ignore all of the speculations. I knew from the beginning that I should be prepared to be photographed and questioned by the media but I'm still not used to it because I'm not used to being the center of attention. I guess Xander had learned early on to get used to the spotlight.

Once we're inside the courthouse I pull Xander to the side.

"I don't know what the judge will say and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous," I say.

"I would say the same for myself," Xander says.

"I just hope everything goes in your favor," I say as I'm fixing his tie.

"Me too. Come on let's go get it over with." Xander says and just as I let my hands fall I see Xander once again hold my hand until we reach the front of the courtroom.

Less than an hour later the judge has made her decision and I sigh in relief. The judge allows Xander to keep his fortune and let Olivia keep her property. Olivia's father, on the other hand, was upset when he heard the judge announce her decision. He hastily ran out of the courtroom whereas Olivia accepted the settlement and surprisingly gave me a hug before she left. I grew closer with her even though she was away at the rehabilitation facility she would occasionally call me whenever she got the privilege to. I was glad that there was no bad blood between her and me.

As we leave the courtroom Xander takes me by surprise and kisses me. I can feel the relief he carries after we heard the verdict because I feel the urgency as we kiss. I eventually pull away when I remember that many people are probably watching us.

"I think we should head home and celebrate," I suggest.

"I agree," Xander says with a playful smile. 

As we make our way outside, we are suddenly bombarded by multiple cameras and reporters asking questions.

"Mr. Reed is it true your former assistant was the main reason to file for a divorce?" A reporter asks.

"Do you have any comment on the state of your company?"

"Mr. Reed, can you confirm that you had an ongoing affair with your assistant during your marriage?"

"Is there any doubt in your relationship that she could be in it for the money?" 

This last question has been rumored and asked by many people on a few gossip forums and entertainment news outlets. I have been afraid that I would be thought of this but Alizah, Trina, and even Xander convinced me that I shouldn't worry because it is all gossip.