Chapter 27

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and recently I have stopped going to work so I can start my maternity leave. Honestly, I would keep working if I could but lately, I've been getting more tired during the day and I started getting migraines. According to my doctor, they are normal pregnancy symptoms. I only have 3 months left and I was recommended to start walking at least 2 hours each day so my delivery will be easier. I've been taking her advice and I find myself walking around the block in the morning and in the evening. Occasionally Xander joins me on my walks in the evening whenever he can.

On one of our walks one evening I ask Xander what he wants to call our baby.

"I don't have any ideas but do you?" He asks.

"I have a few," I confess, "So the names I had in mind are, Ava, Arabella, Edlynne, and Carena."

"I like the last one," Xander says.

"Carena?" I ask as we slowly approach the penthouse.

"Yeah it's different and I think it will suit her."I smile up at him as we get into the elevator.

"Then her name will be Carena Reed." I look to Xander and see him smile down at me. When we walk inside the penthouse we have decided on our daughter's name.

The next two months Xander and I converted the room across from his into Carena's nursery. I didn't do much other than putting the finishing touches into her room. I chose the colors for the nursery while Xander built the furniture which I was surprised that he knew how to build the furniture. In less than a week the room is painted in a pastel purple, the dresser is stocked with many baby clothes, and the crib is set up near the bay window. All of her furniture is white but the bedding and some of the decor throughout the nursery are in different shades of purples. Next to the crib is a white chair so I can nurse our daughter or watch over her. This room is one of the many rooms that I love in the penthouse.

By the time I reach my third trimester in my pregnancy I've been feeling heavier. Physically I have more of a belly. Ever since I have gotten bigger, I've decided to forgo pants and just wear skirts or dresses just because they were easy to wear. My breasts have been feeling more swollen and most of my bras didn't fit me anymore. Despite all of the changes, the only one Xander has made is by giving me, my own staff member. I told him before that I could take care of myself but I knew just as well as he does that he wouldn't take no for an answer. Around the 35th week of my pregnancy, he introduced me to Nina who is a maid, a certified midwife, and a nanny. She was a nice older lady who I eventually befriended and I had learned that she took care of Xander and Alizah when they were born. She always said I reminded her of Xander's real mother, Marrion. Which I found as a high compliment coming from her because she was like family to the Xander and Alizah.

As the week's progress, I started to feel contractions but they weren't the real ones instead they were the ones that would go away soon after. The first contractions I felt happened when I was about to head off to bed until I felt some pain near my back area. Xander was worried and he insisted that I should go to the hospital but a second later the contractions were gone. I reassure him multiple times that it wasn't time yet and I didn't need to go to the hospital. Now that these fake contractions kept going it brought up an ongoing argument with Xander and me. He decided that he should stay at home with me instead of going to work.

"You shouldn't have to worry about me, I'll be fine while your gone." I insist.

"No, I think it's best I stay home. If I do go to work, what will happen if you go into labor and I'm not there?" He asks and I sigh in frustration.

"Okay! I see your point but how about we compromise?" I suggest.

"What do you mean?" He asks in his business tone.

"You go to work but only for half the day, besides you'll only be away from me for just a few hours," I explain.

"I don't know Natalia." He says.

"Nina will still be here if anything happens and if anything did you'll be the first to know." I hope he can accept this proposal because he is as stubborn as me.

"Fine, but I want hourly updates." He demands and I roll my eyes in annoyance.

"Okay, I'll promise. You must be a hard client to please." I jokingly say.

"Yet, you're better at persuading than I give you credit for." He says while he places a soft kiss on my lips.

When I reach my due date nothing happens. I can only assume that my daughter isn't ready just yet. This worries Xander but I keep reassuring him that it's normal for being late. The doctor has said that most due dates aren't exact and that It will happen when it happens. Xander eventually calms down and we both accept the fact that our daughter might be coming later than expected. I was told by the doctor last week that I was only 1 centimeter dilated which is crazy because I'm only 9 centimeters away from being considered fully dilated. Which means I'm ready any day now and that thought scares me.

The next morning, I get up to wish Xander a good morning before he leaves for work. I head back upstairs to get some more rest but what feels like less than an hour I hear my phone go off. I check the caller before I answer and see it's Xander.

"Hey, is everything okay?" I ask in a sleepy voice.

"I would ask the same, I called 5 times and went straight to voicemail." He says sounding irritated.

"Sorry! What I meant to ask was why you called?" Geez. Sometimes I forget Xander is controlling at times.

"No, I'm sorry for acting that way. I left one of my files by the nightstand, could you grab them I need those for work?" He asks.

"Yes, I just found them I'll leave them by the table next to the entryway," I say as I grab the red folder off the nightstand. Like me, Xander sometimes reads a few things for work before we go to bed.

"Good. I'm just a few minutes away." He says.

"Okay and drive safely," I say.

"See you soon. Bye." Xander says.

"Bye," I say before I hang up. I quickly grab my robe and tie my hair up in a bun because I know for sure I won't be getting any sleep when he leaves. Also, it seems Carena is moving and kicking in my stomach. I rub stomach as if to calm her down and I feel like everyone is awake except for me. Instead of waiting I decide to head downstairs and grab the files that Xander needed.

As I walk down the stairs, I feel it harder to breathe and it takes me a second to catch my breath. As I make my way to the kitchen I see the front door burst open and all I see is the angry figure of Olivia by the doorway. I knew in my stomach that whatever she wanted couldn't be good.