CHAPTER 2 - THE SYMBOL

It almost felt like dejavu. I woke up with a terrible headache and a body that felt like it has been ran by a ten wheeler truck. My eyes caught the black woman beside me. At least I already knew who she was, unlike the first time I woke up. I remembered everything I found out so far. I remembered her name, the director's, and the different blocks. Yet why I suddenly blacked out again was something I didn't quite understand.

"Margaux." The doctor softly called, being careful not to talk too loudly to hurt my hearing.

She helped me sit up but it was less difficult for me to move compared to the first time I tried. I saw that I was in the same room. Room 102.

"What just happened?"

Her eyes were filled with worry and a bit of confusion. She couldn't answer right away like she also didn't know what to tell me.

"You need to rest, Margaux. I suggest you stay here for a while."

"No. I don't want to rest, and I'm not staying here until I find out what's going on." I firmly stated.

Lyra looked at me as if trying to decide whether to refrain me or not. Before I could even say anything else, she adjusted something on my IV which was once again attached to the back of my hand.

"Do you really think you can handle it now, Margaux? You barely even survived an hour outside this room. What makes you think I'd let you black out every time it becomes too much for you?" She slightly raised her voice yet the protective tone was clear.

It sent me a bit taken aback but I was able to hold myself. Our eyes just stayed on each other while silence filled the air for a few seconds. Then I saw in her chocolate brown orbs that her words were genuine. My mind went back to what they said to me before I blacked out regarding how they needed to protect me. She meant it. I felt that she truly cared for me.

"But I need to know what is happening to me." I whispered as I surrendered from the staring contest and lowered my head. "Nothing makes sense right now."

"And you will. I promise that we will tell you everything but you have to take things slowly. You're still weak." She immediately replied.

Knowing very well that I had a high chance of collapsing again if I force myself to go out the room, I agreed to her request. I slumped my shoulders in defeat.

"How long do I need to stay to here?"

"Just a day or two, at least. We will monitor your vitals and we will go from there of how much you can only take for now. Trust me, you're going to need your body fully recovered by the time you understand what we do. It's not going to be easy, Margaux. So if you want to find out, take a rest." Lyra stated as she checked my monitors.

She was about to walk out the room to let me get some quiet time, but I stopped her by calling her name.

"Do you have any p-pain killer or anything that w-would help me sleep? I ca-can't take this headache anymore." I stuttered, fully processing how much my head already hurt.

The doctor went back to her previous position beside me and took something from almost directly above my bed. I wasn't able to see what it was since I have put my head down as I held the back of it. The next thing I knew, my vision started to blur and my headache was slowly fading. Then I was sent to another dream.

My bare feet stood on a light brown wood flooring while my eyes wandered around. The place was a cozy interior with a touch of Victorian design. Its furniture were all beige while the dark curtains gave the needed contrast of the area. I walked slowly not knowing whose house it was, yet it wasn't long until I heard several gunshots that came from upstairs. Then fear suddenly invaded my body. Nevertheless, my feet dragged me to where the sound came from.