CHAPTER 6 - PROGRESS

I have a boyfriend.

After my unsuccessful first body conditioning, Lyra came back with a guy, who I remembered was from the Essential Block. He was holding some sparring equipment. The doctor cleared that the first three days would be all about cardio. So as decided that I wasn't in condition for running again, the man taught me a few basic boxing combinations instead. Both for defense and offense. Fortunately, I didn't collapse again since the trainer took it easy on me. Yet it was almost as exhausting as running. I survived at least three hours with enough rest times in between.

The next morning came by the same. Raiden escorted me to the dining area until we reached the director and heads' table. They asked how my training went yesterday. Then Lyra assured me that I didn't have to worry because I would only have to do everything again, just to record my daily progress. Though my body was still a bit sore, I was feeling more confident. I knew that I could perform a lot better.

"Yesterday, when you introduced me to the other trainees," my steady voice broke the light conversation on the table as I glanced at the newbies behind the glass wall separation, "they looked at me like they finally had a face for a name. Why is that? Am I missing something?"

Bartlet and the other heads exchanged gazes, trying to sense who would deliver the information. There wasn't any fear or worry in their eyes, so I didn't understand why they were somehow reluctant for me to know. It was probably something that I should already know of. Yet my mind remained unfamiliar and still hungry for its memories.

"Well, we didn't tell you because it might put pressure on you." Bartlet responded, with a smile. "And we don't want that especially you're just starting to make yourself comfortable here."

"Pressure? What do you mean?"

"Do you really want to know?" The director asked for confirmation before glancing at the other heads teasingly.

I gave out a hesitant nod as I tried to study all of their expressions. It kind of weirded me out how they were all acting cool and easy as they continued eating, while I was in the verge of panicking.

"Let's just say that we told them that you are one to watch out for, and that they would only pass the training if they could surpass your records." Bartlet casually said as he shrugged.

"Wait, what?"

"In our defense, we informed them about you before you even decided to go through your training. They are watching you because they want to see how good you really are. You're setting a standard for them." He added.

"You all know it's a low one, right?" I raised one of my eyebrows.

I was trying to fight the urge to snicker because they should know that they were making it too easy for the newbies. Having no clear memories of my past, it was hard to cope with everything that I should already be familiar with. I didn't know if I could again, be the person they told me I once was. Being one of the NCIO top agents and all. They beat me to releasing a laugh, except Rodrick who just threw a little smug before he continued eating.

"Of course, we're not talking about the results you're only about to get. What we showed them were your top records, which most are insanely difficult to beat." Lyra proudly informed before giving me a wink.

It shocked me a bit, especially being unaware of what my body and mind could actually perform.

"Can you show them to me too?"

"No can do, Margaux. You would only push yourself to reach them without being ready. We want you to go through the tests on your own pace." She added.