CHAPTER 16 - THE PLAN

Another panic attack. This time, it wasn't mine. The blonde was a few feet away from me, leaving the small box that indicated our bond, resting on Kaiylan's hand. Riley had a palm forcefully pressing on her forehead, seeming in agony once again, like when she was trying to fight what was going on inside her head. It was a heartbreaking scene. She was acting the same way I encounter extreme headaches when Rodrick and the others were inserting glitches. Yet with Riley, it was worse. Much worse. Because she didn't have control anymore.

The absurdity was only proven more when she suddenly punched the cave wall behind her with both her fist. Hard, fast, and continuous. Without thinking things through and not entirely caring about the possible consequences, I ran up to her to grab her wrists. She didn't pull back but her whole frame was so stiff.

Her knuckles were bleeding. Our bodies were in contact and I can feel how erratic her heartbeat was. Her skin was burning but the expression on her face remained pleading. It was like what she just did, hadn't had much effect on her. She was in pain, but not physically.

Restrained sobs echoed. I took a side glance to check the young company with us who shouldn't have witnessed what just occurred. Fortunately, Kaiylan had been ahead of the situation as she was already caging him in her arms with his face buried on her waist. They were crying. Both feeling hopeless. And I knew the last ball was on my hands. I was the last resort they needed.

"Riley, look at me." I called the blonde who had her head down.

"N-No." She quivered.

"Just look at me. Please."

Her struggle continued. I almost broke instantly when she finally met my orbs. Riley wasn't Riley. Not entirely, at least. She was trying to be. It was her body but so little of her soul. She wasn't scared. She was fear. She wasn't lost. She was darkness.

"You have to kill me, Margaux." She softly demanded.

"Why would I do that?"

Riley faintly whimpered. "Because it's the only way to end this."

It was the moment I caught the remaining humanity in her. I knew I was looking at the real Riley. Not just Riley McGill whose identity remained vague, but the Riley McGill who I was supposed to be spending the past months and the rest of my life with. There was the connection. Even if it rose drastically slow, it was the most powerful thing I have ever felt. I was scared to know what it was. The once hunger for vengeance turned hunger for validity.

"Maybe that's thing." I said as I carefully lowered her wrists. "We don't have to end something that we haven't given a chance to start yet."

"But if we start, I can't promise that you will not lose me. Because we both know that I don't have control. I can't let you suffer." She cried.

Her voice was so different. Like it instantly spun. It made me somehow doubt the realness of it. There were thoughts in my head that questioned if it really was, her, talking. That she meant every word. That the idea wasn't just plastered, and I wasn't being played at again. I became cautious. Yet I still gave her the chance. I chose to believe her. Because the moment felt real. It felt... right.

"It's okay to lose yourself. You're not alone anymore. You have us. Sometimes, you just need people around to keep you grounded." I comforted as my hand gently traveled down to hers but stopped just on her wrist.

Her eyes shut for a second before she spoke. "We also know that not everyone is trying to help. There are people destroying us, Margaux." She reminded.

I looked at Kaiylan to seek help but she remained steady on her position. Only her silence and calm expression proved that I was fine and it pushed me to keep going. Tables have turned, and I was the one being trusted. I couldn't even process what I was doing. The confidence in me just suddenly existed. But I still wasn't sure. Not of anything.