CHAPTER 14 - INTEGATES

Confusion turned fear. Warmth coming from the fire felt ice cold. Knees went wobbly. Palms sweating. Lips trembling. Goosebumps unwavering. Heart barely beating.

The woman was a complete stranger. I have never seen her before, not even in the nightmares and visions I had. But it would be a lie if I didn't say that I was intrigued by her. Just not really in any good way yet. Bartlet never warned me of kidnapping being one of the things to be careful about. Even though I was clueless to who the female was, I voluntarily followed her when she walked further inside. She stood somewhere on the side as I anchored myself steadily across the created bonfire.

Then my eyes finally adjusted to the light of the enclosed space. The stone cave was not like any other caves. Transversely from my position, there were carvings on the surface covered in silver liquid as they illuminated through the flame. It took me a while to scan the entire wall as I realized just how familiar it was. As soon as my orbs flickered down the heat blaze, everything came rumbling at once. And then I felt petrified.

River. Cave. Bonfire. Carvings.

Four recurring images. No, they weren't flashbacks. None of them happened in the past. They were, indeed, messages. Just like what Mitchell said. Unfolding right in front of me. And I waited. For the excruciating pain in my head that normally happens after every admonition of unfamiliarity. The air only thickened yet nothing came. Even after I closed my eyes and reopened them. I was stable. No panic attacks. No visions.

"None of that here, Margaux." The woman's voice echoed, making me search for her eyes. Name still unknown. I didn't recall her introducing herself. "You're safe now."

My lips trembled. "Safe? I don't even know you. How can I be so sure that you're not planning on killing me in the next two minutes?" I forced my voice to stay sturdy.

The stranger lightly laughed as she took off her hoodie and dropped it to the ground. Dark brown hair fell loosely on her shoulders and chest. Her small smile didn't falter as she brushed her fingers through the wavy locks.

"Rodrick wasn't joking. They really did a serious job on you."

The sudden mention of the Essential head made my breath hitched. She knew him. Her tone even sounded like she knew him like the back of her hand. For a second, I assumed that maybe they were related. Yet there wasn't any resemblance. My mouth opened and closed a few times to say something, but nothing came out as I tried to process her second sentence more. Then her expression went from smugly to full concerned and pitiful.

"I'm just glad you're okay. And I hope it's not too late yet." She added with honesty.

I sharply scoffed, signaling my extreme confusion. "I don't understand. What are you talking about? Who are you? How do you know me?"

Her nails scratched her nape, making her look troubled like she didn't exactly know what to tell me or where to start. Then her eyes flutter down to her other wrist to check her watch for something. I unconsciously did the same, but finding out that I no longer had mine. It probably got ripped off when she was strangling me. My head propped back up to the sound of faint clearing of throat.

"My name is Kaiylan Grinsdale. I used to be a part of the NCIO." She introduced, which somehow put me at ease with the indication of the facility. Somehow.

"Used to? What do you mean? You're here outside. Are you one of those people who volunteered to hunt Riley down?" I asked.

She kept her stare straight before lowering hear head and shake it. It didn't seem like she was disclaiming my assumption, but it was more of sending disappointment as if I said something wrong. I just realized that I suddenly blurted my enemy's name. Maybe it made her uncomfortable. But then she fixed her stance and placed her hands behind her.