CHAPTER 15 - REVELATIONS

A memory dawned inside my head as I peered at the Integate symbol on my hand. Rodrick lied when I asked him who the first six were. Or he probably had to. Not that it made the lie any less incongruous. I was number six. There were other people I haven't met. And that was what I wanted to find out first.

I pushed myself to get back on my feet but letting the woman support my unstable stance. She stayed closely. Her stare was gentle and patient, telling me that she wasn't going anywhere. That she was ready to help.

"Who are the first six Integates?" I asked. "Besides me."

She wiped her palms on her jeans, signaling uneasiness. Yet her eyes held mine. "The first four were just random males and females. Two each. Their ages ranged from 15-50. To test if the microchip would work on teenagers and adults. They had to make sure it works before they plant it in you."

"And did it?"

Kaiyla nodded.

"Where are they?" I questioned.

Silence lulled at the cave. My eyes flickered down to her trembling hands. It was too quiet that I even heard her gulp. The proximity of our position became too much for her that she chose to turn around and looked down at the flame.

"They made them kill each other." She revealed, which instantly made me gasp at the absurdity. "That was their goal. That when they encode the idea, the four Integates will show no mercy. And they intend to do the same to you."

"Why?!"

"For you to kill INT 0005." She straightforwardly answered.

Kill? I didn't think I can digest the idea. Back when I went through my final test at the NCIO, I would never have done it if Riley's replica didn't shove me to the edge. I was impulsive that time. Yet it was no longer in the list of things I can and will do.

It sent another ocean of fear in my chest. Xyryl was never meant to help people and make the world a safer place. It was for control. Power. And they were planning to mold me into a monster.

"W-Who is INT 0005?" I stuttered.

Kaiylan returned her stare on me. "I think you know."

Riley McGill.

"Because it's true? She killed my parents?"

Her eyebrows scrunched in confusion. When I mentioned it before, it led her to a hysterical pacing and some cursing. I figured that part was at least true. That Bartlet and Lyra weren't lying when they said Riley took something away from me.

"No, she didn't." She cleared.

Another corrected lie. Another revelation to elevate my rage. Another reason to feel the pain. The way I was played at was exceptionally outrageous. It was ridiculous how everything they told me, Kaiylan unfolds a contrary. They filled my mind with nothing but lies. And I knew there were a lot more. The hunger for vengeance just kept aggravating.

"Then who did it?" I asked as I gritted my teeth in anger.

"I don't know. And I don't think you would want to find out." She differed.

"What are you talking about?"

"Not until you know everything." She answered.

"Have I not had enough already?!" I shouted.

Her head dropped as if she was starting to lose control. It wasn't long until I saw a tear travel down her cheek, but she quickly wiped it, obviously not something I should have witnessed. Instead of commenting on it, I just focused on her footsteps that headed to the right side of the cave. It was only then that I noticed a monitor attached to the stone, the same as the one in my NCIO room which I use to activate the furniture. Adjacent to the machine, was a neat crack that split the wall into two. Kaiylan was about to lift her hand for the monitor to scan when she looked at me with a sad expression on her face.