CHAPTER 5 - THE TRAINING

The night before I begin my training, Riley's image haunted me in my sleep. So I didn't need to be awaken when Raiden went to my room to call me for breakfast. It confused me at first because I was used to being sent food every meal time. The teenage boy escorted me to a floor below the main work area after I hastily freshen up. We walked past it, and I realized that it was the first time I saw it empty. When my feet took the last few steps of the stairs, I already heard the several different conversations going all at the same time behind a door. Revealed right in front of my eyes as it opened was an enormous dining area.

I would describe it as some sort of school cafeteria because of the several chairs and circular tables assembled around, yet people didn't line up to get their meals. They were all seated and the foods were already at the table on a circular platform which was three layers vertically. First from bottom contained variety of bread, second had all kinds of meat and eggs which were cooked differently, and the top was all diced fruits on small bowls. Everything that I've seen so far in the facility was really so modern and advanced.

Raiden led me to the table where Bartlet and Lyra were before heading to his own group. They haven't started eating yet like they were waiting for me. I received a morning greeting from everyone at the table, even from the other three who I recognized but didn't know their names.

"We haven't introduced you yet to the other heads of the blocks. This is Denver Actonhart, head of Machinery. This is Rodrick Larsen, head of Essential. And this is Ervy Cobell, the head of Rations Block who always makes sure we get these delicious food every single day." The director pointed at the breakfast tower.

The others chuckled with his words while I threw a genuine smile. He looked like he really enjoys the meal in the facility. I nodded to each of the heads as I try to quickly study them. Even though I knew it wasn't appropriate, it was like a force of habit. It turned more inevitable after Bartlet and Lyra told me that it was just something I normally do.

Denver appeared to be in his mid 30's. He had a slightly long hair that was neatly tied into a bun, along with his clean facial. The glasses he had gave the nerdy vibe which actually suited him. He looked very approachable but something about him seemed sketchy. It was different with Rodrick though. I assumed he was younger than the Machinery head, at least close to my age. His dark red hair was a bit messy, nevertheless, he was attractive. Though the blue gray eyes he had painted shyness. My rough guess on Ervy's age was on late 30's, not far from Lyra's. She had a good tan that matches her wavy long hair and green eyes. She seemed bubbly and cheerful with a motherly aura.

"Nice to meet all of you." I genuinely said as I took my seat between Lyra and Ervy which was the only empty one, noticing next that there was already a bowl of creamy soup served on top of my plate.

"It's good to have you back here, Margaux." The head of Rations Block carefully put her hand on my forearm, which oddly felt comforting.

Before another topic could be opened, they all started to take some food from the 3-layer serving platform. I watched them silently first before hesitantly getting for myself. I set aside the soup and then put bread, scrambled eggs, and sausages on my plate. Just as I was about to take my cup of coffee, Ervy offered me a bowl that contained some small packed milk and sugar. Without thinking how many I needed, I just grabbed a pack of brown sugar before thanking her.

"Still the same blend, I see." She chuckled, referring to how I wanted my hot drink.

The first breakfast I had in the NCIO, they gave me coffee with milk which also tasted too sweet for my liking. I couldn't finish it because it made me nauseous. It wasn't my thing. I learned what was just right for me when Ali and I went to my unit.