CHAPTER 18 - CONFRONTATION

I was frozen in place. Anchored to the ground. Every strand of my veins felt cold. The breaths I struggle to catch continued as the two people who produced my existence walked towards my position.

It seemed more surreal seeing them in flesh. Not just in a photograph. It was terrifying that the warmth of their skin met mine. I couldn't believe how I was molded into looking equally like them. However, already knowing what they do, I couldn't fathom the idea of even being related to them. I felt sick. Utterly.

"It's good to see you again, sweetheart."

It was the older woman's voice that suddenly awoken my body and quickly led me to step back. Her sweet tone gave me goosebumps. Not in a good way. Not even close to a comforting motherly way. The man beside her smiled as he opened his arms to me.

"Not going to give your good old man a hug?" He invited.

I stood still. Anger rose. It was what took over. Because I couldn't believe I mourned for two people who were still alive. I longed for people who were basically just in the same facility as I was. I cried over people who were lying to me the whole time. It was absurd.

"She's still in shock. Probably just missed you both too much." Frey added.

"I'm sorry." I intervened sarcastically. "Shock?! How about furious?"

"What's to be furious about, dear?" The woman innocently asked.

My fists were tightly balled, both shaking from the needed control. I repeatedly told myself that I had to get answers from them before I let my emotions explode. It was hard to let the anger subside, and it was even harder that we were in the same room with Frey. His presence was igniting my rage, especially the little smug on his face. I averted my eyes to the people in front of me.

"You really just expect me to be all excited like nothing happened? Like you're just magically still alive and I wasn't lied to?"

"We had to, sweetheart." The older man faked a gentle tone. "It was for your own good."

"Own good?" I repeated with bitterness. "How is being played over and over again exactly for my own good?"

I kept glancing at my monitor to make sure I knew how much time I have left. My percentage remained at 91%. Yet I tried to focus on the conversation because I was to find out their version of the story.

"Because we didn't want to lose you." My mother said as she took a step closer.

"You were slowly slipping away from us. We needed to save our daughter."

My eyebrows rose because even though they were trying to convince me, I didn't feel any sincerity. There wasn't any sense of family comfort. Not even a bit from any of them.

"Save?" I repeated. "From what? From who?"

My feet dragged me sideways. Back and forth. Arms crossed in front while my eyes dared them to continue talking. Frey remained out of the conversation. He stood silent beside them like he was some puppet or sidekick. His fingers were playing with a portable button that I have no idea what for.

"Someone tried to take you away from us. Someone was ruining your life. Your dreams. As your parents who care so much about you, we couldn't just let that happen. It is our job to protect you. And give you everything you deserve." The woman stated as her eyebrows scrunched like she was trying hard to convince me. "But every time you were with that person, you come home drunk and high. Do you expect us to just watch you hurt yourself, Margaux?"

That was the first proven lie.

"Maybe there was a reason for me to get high and drunk. Maybe I was trying to escape something." I contradicted, like catching their manipulation.