Chapter 1: Bugger

"Bugger," I mutter as I look down at the sinking boat.

Bugger. It's the one word that sums up my life perfectly.

"Jack, the boat is sinking," I state the obvious.

"Yes, I know, love," he says.

I glance at the island that we're getting closer to. Port Royal. I've never liked this island. There's way too many soldiers and ships, which means heavy guarding and less pirates sneaking around. There's more executions for pirates then necessary.

"I think we can last until the dock," I state.

"Of course we can, love," Jack replies, as he takes a bucket and dumping some of the water out of the boat and back into the ocean. "We're Captains Jack and Eve Sparrow."

I smirk and look back out to sea. Hanging from a rock near the island are three skeletons, each with a noose around their necks. A sign next to them reads, "PIRATES YE BE WARNED".

Jack and I both stand up, taking off our hats and respecting the dead pirates. Poor fellows, what a way to have your life ended. Hopefully, we'll have more luck on our side then they did.

Saltwater splashes across my legs. The water has flooded up to my knees now. "Bugger," I mutter and curse under my breath. Jack and I climb the crow's nest as the bottom part of the boat sinks.

"Now that's not a very lady-like thing to say," Jack teases.

"I'm not bloody lady-like," I say, eagerly anticipating the moment that we'll reach the dock. I want off this damn boat. I've been on a tiny dinghy for nearly five weeks and I need to get off the damn piece of shit.

Jack chuckles and steps off the crows nest as the dinghy reaches the dock. I step off after him just as the top of the boat disappears under the turquoise water.

We try to blend in as we exit the dock, but are noticed by the man supervising the dock. "Hold that there you!" he shouts at us. Bugger, we were so close!

"It's a shilling to tie your boat at the dock," he gestures to the top of our sunken dinghy bobbing at the surface of the water. "And I'll also need to know your name."

Jack and I glance at each other before answering the man. "What do you say to three shillings and we forget the name?" I negotiate, dropping the coins onto his paper.

The man actually considers this. "Are you two married?" he asks.

"Yes," Jack replies. We actually aren't married, but we could be. We've known each other since we were teenagers. I was taken hostage when he took down my ship. I was the Captain of The Odyssey. I ended up being his first mate when he decided that I was too valuable to kill like the rest of my crew. Let's just say we bonded and then I was upgraded to Co. Captain.

"Welcome to Port Royal, Mr and Mrs Smith," he says, letting us finally leave the dock.

Wow, Mrs. Smith? How original.

"So now what are we going to do?" I ask.

"Find a ship, commender it and then get the Pearl back," he says simply.

"Well I know that. But which ship?" I ask, pointing to the bay full of vessels.

The two most guarded ships were called the Dauntless and the Interceptor. The Dauntless was significantly larger and much more powerful. Honestly, it made the Interceptor look like nothing. But if the Interceptor was so heavily guarded, there had to be something special about it.

"Let's find out," Jack says. We walk down to the dock where the Interceptor rests. There are two guards there. Not as much as I was expecting. There seemed to be some kind of event up at the cliff.