Part 33

Published: Nov. 28, 2019----Sept. 30, 2020

Kate, what happened to you? You look so devastated about the news."

"Of course she will be, Mr. Steele is courting her or rather had courted her," Nicole answered with a shake of her head from side to side.

"What? Is it true, Kate?" This time she nods.

"Men...they are like shingleback skinks when courting but behave like walruses once you accept them," Nicole commented while pouring wine on the glasses.

"You never mentioned it before," Tess told her in a voice, implying disappointment.

"I'm sorry if I didn't tell you about it."

Tess looked at her and, after a thought, shrugged and said. "I'm sure you will not do it without reason.

"It was because lately, we rarely see you." Nicole told Tess as if pointing out the fault was on the latter's side and then added, "I was even surprised when Mr. Steele told me about his intention to court Katelyn."

"Mr. Steele talked to you?" Tess interrupted disbelief in her voice of Jared's action.

"Imagine the high and mighty Mr. Steele's doing it. If Charlize didn't get pregnant, it would be flattering, but now it seems like he was playing around while his ladylove was not around." She added after Nicole's nods.

"That is the reason why I am skeptical of his courtship. Anyway, he had done it; we cannot do anything but help Kate to move on." Nicole suggested.

"Is he the father of your child?" Tess's direct question on her left her speechless for a time.

Nicole answered, "What are you asking her Tess, of course, she is..." Nicole was not able to finish what she was going to say as she nods her head as an affirmation to Tess question, leaving the former stunned.

"I can't believe it," Nicole commented once she was able to comprehend what's going on and then took the glass of wine and gulped it in one shot. "I needed it." She told them and then looked at her. "Kate, I am ready now to know what is going on. I am sure Tess is curious too."

"How can she tell them it was her fault she sandwiched herself in between Jared and Charlize? She would not face this predicament, pregnant, and soon to be a divorcee if she didn't follow her emotion. She got hurt and involved an innocent child who would grow up without a father's love.

Her blurry eyes looked at her friends' intrusive face, which became concerned when they noticed her in pensive silence. Their reaction made her regretful she cannot tell them everything. She can only impart her background and why she left her country to lessen her guilt.

The recrimination she was expecting once she told them her real identity never happened. This time she weeps, touched by their non-judgmental behavior towards her after all those fabricated stories and dishonesty. At the same time, because she cannot tell them she is already married, all she can say is her being the chosen woman to be Jared's bride.

Nicole's hugged appeased her lonely heart, telling her she is not alone.

"Cry it all out but remember it is not good for the baby if mommy is sad." Nicole reminded her and then asked. "Does Mr. Steele know about your condition?"

"No, he didn't."

"Do you intend to tell him?" Tess asked in which she answered." I don't know. I'm afraid of the consequences if I do."

Her two friends then looked at her, nodding while uttering the word "right." After a minute or two, they changed their mind. They take turned in suggesting what to do, argue if they think the solution is unfair or not right, but in the end, they still didn't settle with anything. It is because; they always consider his moneyed background, which can obstruct their options.