t w e n t y

song : compass by the neighborhood

nova's pov :

"i mean don't you think it's a little weird that nancy never brought a binder to school?" perla comments

i chuckle softly and shake my head.

"perla, why is it such a big deal to you?" grayson asks

"it just bugs me! i mean, everyone had a binder at school except for nancy!" she says

ethan laughs and turns into the parking lot of the restaurant.

"wow." i say in awe

a water fountain is in the center of the building and there are guards surrounding the whole building. women and men dressed up in the fancy, appropriate attire walking in and out of the building, giving a nod and a tiny smile to the guard that opens the door.

"this looks..." grayson starts

"really fucking fancy." perla finishes

a man waves at us to stop driving but ethan doesn't see him.

"ethan. stop." grayson commands

the man gets closer to the car and we yell at ethan to stop.

"you almost ran over the valet guy!" i state

ethan rolls down his window and chuckles slightly. grayson hits his arm and curses at him until the valet guy crouches at the window to talk to ethan.

"i'm so sorry about that." ethan says

"it's fine but, i need your keys so i can park." he rolls his eyes

ethan nods and waves his hand at us, motioning to get out.

"that valet guy was an asshole." ethan complains

i walk faster but almost fall because of my heels, trying to catch up with ethan, grayson, and perla.

"nova, walk faster." ethan murmurs

i curse at him in my head but eventually catch up. perla links arms with me because she sees me struggling with my heels and laughs to herself.

"shut up." i smile

"hello sir. can i have your name please?" the guard with a clipboard asks

"who's name is it on?" ethan turns around to us and whispers

"say dolan." i recommend

"dolan." ethan responds

the guard nods and opens the giant, long door, letting us in.

"enjoy your dinner." he smiles

we all smile and walk in. the ceiling is covered with tiny pieces of mirrored jewelry that reflects from the other pieces of jewelry. the tables are all in seperate tiny rooms.

"so we get our own room?" grayson asks in shock

"hello. i'll be your guys' waiter today."

i turn around to see a tan guy with brown and blond highlights. he has a slight greek accent but it's not very noticeable. he smiles directly at me and i freeze up, waving slightly.

i hear soft laughs behind me and nudge whoever it is behind me.

perla.

he leads us to a room with paintings all over the room and a bright light shining throughout the room.

we sit down and scan through the menu he hands out.

"what would you like to drink?" he asks

"you don't need a notepad?" grayson asks

"grayson!" perla scolds

"no sir. i have my brain." he laughs

we all slightly chuckle except for ethan who held a stern face.

i touch his hand and send him a smile, making sure he's ok. he pulls away from my touch and looks away. i cross my legs and rest my head in my hands, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"what would you like gorgeous?" the waiter asks

i don't respond, assuming he's talking to perla and continue to play with my fingers.

"nova." perla says

"oh. me?" i ask, pointing at my chest

he nods and slightly chuckles to himself.

"o-oh well uhm, just water." i smile

he nods and walks out, saying our drinks will be back shortly.

ethan abruptly stands up and slams his hands down onto the table, shoving his chair in.

"ethan!" grayson yells

"e-ethan are you ok?" i ask

he looks at me with a look of hurt and... jealousy?

my eyes widen and i tug my chair back a little. ethan notices and runs out before i can catch up with him.

"i'll uhm... i'll talk to him."

i run out and ask someone for help, looking for where the bathroom might be.

i knock on the men's stall and turn around, not hearing anyone walking towards the door to open. soon enough, a soft hand latches around my wrist and pulls me in.

"ethan!"

he pushes me up against the bathroom door and my heavy breaths pick up.

"why was he fucking flirting with you?" he asks

"i don't know. why is it a problem?" i ask

"god! i don't know nova, ok!" he gets even closer to me

i can feel his breath on my face and i look down, not wanting to look up.

"ethan, why are you acting like this?"

"i don't know nova. i really don't."