f i f t y - e i g h t

nova's pov (continuing from flashback) :

"you can't just stress about this all by yourself." grayson scoffs

"ya. where is ethan?" perla asks

i look around the library and give up within five seconds, knowing for a fact he isn't going to show up.

"nova. you did this all by yourself. ethan shouldn't get any credit." pal states

"bri, why didn't you fucking write that down?!"

grayson points to his outline of the project and bri rolls her eyes, grabbing another marker and writing down the information he's whining about.

"happy?" she sarcastically smirks

grayson glares at her and groans in frustration, shoving his face into his hands.

"guys i'm terrified. ethan isn't gonna know shit and then ms.nelson is gonna ask ethan to speak and he's just going to stare at her and say nothing."

"i'll drag his ass here if he doesn't show up in-"

the doors push open and a gust of cold wind hits us, making us shiver. ethan shudders and relaxes once he feels the hot air of the library and i stare back at my project, scared. meanwhile, everyone else, glaring when ethan makes his way over to our table.

"hey guys!" he says

he tosses donuts on the table and i reach over to grab some but pal smacks my hand, making me pout and rub my hand in comfort.

"c'mon! i got your favorite n."

i stare at the bag and grow hungrier and hungrier but grayson grabs it and shoves it in his backpack.

"what the fuck? gray, that was for n!"

grayson smirks proudly and doesn't answer. he smirks at pal and pal high fives him, along with perla and bri.

"ok. i know. i'm an asshole and-"

"wow! he finally realizes!" pal gasps in sarcasm

everyone laughs at pal's joke but i don't and i focus back on ethan. he notices and smiles at me sadly and i grin politely, resting my head on my hand and staring while he speaks.

"i'm sorry n. i'm an asshole for leaving you and ditching with alison."

it becomes silent for a little but i nod my head, excepting his apology. bri slaps the back of my head and i glare at her. she glares back and quirks her eyebrows, shocked that i accepted his apology once again.

grayson groans in annoyance and grabs the donuts out of his bag and throws them onto the table. i gasp and dive into the bag, grabbing the chocolate donut that's covered with colorful sprinkles.

"young lady! that better not be a donut i see in your hand!"  the librarian shouts

i set it back down on the table slowly and hear quiet snickers from everyone as i do so.

"c'mon n. let's eat in my car and we can practice our presentation then."

i smile and grab the donuts and my backpack, waving off everyone. ethan grabs onto my warm hand and i shiver at his cold touch.

he chuckles, hearing my shudder and tugs me in closer.

"you better keep me warm." he whispers

i rub my hands together next to the heat and ethan chugs down his coffee, grabbing the poster and whispering a quiet 'woah.'

"n. this is so good."

i smile and he pinches my cheek, making me blush lightly.

"tell me what i need to say." he turns his body towards me

i point at the poster and circle around the information and his jaw drops.

"t-that much?" he stutters

i nod and his face turns a pale white, nervous.

"hey, hey. i can help if you don't know some of the stuff. i got you e. don't worry."

he smiles and kisses me on the cheek, chugging down his black coffee again. leaving me with a bright red tint on my cheeks.