f o u r t y - n i n e

nova's pov (continuing from flashback) :

"you're going to be working with your desk partners so, don't come up to me and beg to change partners. unless! there is a valid reason... now! get to work!" ms. nellson shouts

"e. i was thinking we could-"

my smile turns into a frown once i see him staring at alison and them mouthing a conversation back and forth. i look at alison for a brief second and she laughs at something ethan says but once she meets my gaze, she glares. clearing my throat, i turn around to see grayson and bri yelling at each other.

"no grayson! we are not doing our song about that!" bri shouts

"why not? it's gonna get us a good grade!"

bri looks at him with doubt and rolls her eyes. grayson scoffs and crosses his arms across his chest, looking the opposite away. i chuckle and they both stare at me.

"you think this is funny?" grayson raises his eyebrows

"no... no! i'm sorry." i cover up my grin with my hand and i hear a familiar laugh behind bri

"you guys are such dumbasses." pal laughs

"i'm lucky i have pal." perla sets her shoulder on pal

pal pets perla's hair teasingly and bri and i glare at them. they stick their tongues out at us and bri and i stick out tongues out back at them.

"what's up with lover boy." grayson snickers

perla slaps the back of grayson's head and points at me.

"dumbass!" she whisper shouts

"it's fine. it's not like he thinks of me that way."

"you never know..." bri comments

my eyebrows furrow in confusion and i was about to speak up but a high pitched giggle interrupted me. turning around, i see alison on top of my desk, talking with ethan.

"how is he so fucking blind." perla stares in disgust

"i can't even work now." i groan

"ask ms. nellson if you can work with us. ditch him." grayson suggests

"i can't do that. he's gonna kill me." i chuckle, playing with the eraser of my mechanical pencil

"who gives two shits? go ask. or i will." pal points to the front of the classroom

i sigh deeply and turn back around, seeing ethan completely in a trance. his complete focus is on alison, making my heart break a little.

"can i get through?" i whisper

alison stops laughing and stares down at me.

"i can't hear you nova." she smiles

"i need to get through. i just gotta ask ms. nellson something." i smile

"oh! i'm sorry." she chuckles and tucks in her legs

"it's ok." i whisper

i feel ethan's eyes watching my every move as i walk up to ms. nellson.

i finally get to her desk and wait there for a few seconds, watching her grade papers. she notices my presence and sets her pen down, smiling at me.

"ah! my a+ student! what can i do for you sweetie." she smiles

"i uhm..."

i look back at ethan and his eyebrows furrow, confused at what i might be asking.

"i was just asking... if i could use the bathroom."

"are you sure that's what you were gonna ask?" she asks skeptically

"yes."

i feel a pen hit the back of my leg and i turn around, seeing pal whisper yelling at me. everyone makes hand motions, telling me to ask what i was previously there for but i shake my head, as a no. they slump back in their seats and groan in defeat.

grayson slaps the back of ethan's head, gaining his attention and points at me, saying something. not wanting to see his reaction, i turn back around and meet ms. nellson's smile.

she hands me the bathroom pass and i whisper a small 'thank you.' i feel everyone's gaze staring at me but i don't dare to look back.

"how dumb can one person get. i don't get it." bri scoffs in disbelief

"never, ever has the ethan dolan ditched you. but now that alison came, she's like his fucking queen. what a-"

"guys. stop. don't be rude. he likes her. it's fine. i'm just his best friend and just because i have feelings for him, it doesn't mean you have to make alison seem like a bad person even though she's a good person."

they all shrug and sigh deeply. grayson runs up to us, trying to catch his breath.

"he's such a fucking prick!" he shouts

"who?"

perla glares at me in disbelief and i chuckle.

"ethan! who else? he ditched both of us and i confronted him and he just said to catch a ride with bri and pal."

pal starts walking back to the school but i grab her wrist, spinning her back around. she stomps her foot in defeat and we all laugh.

"i'll yell at him tomorrow." bri adds

"sure you will bri." pal chuckles

bri punches pal's arm, with her jaw wide open and we all chuckle, getting into the car.