s i x t y - e i g h t

~a/n: this is a really big time skip and i'm sorry but, they've graduated now and they're on summer break
—————————————————————————
song : goodnight n go by ariana grande

nova's pov :

i play with the thin paper in my hands, ripping the sides of it; anxious and nervous. i bit my lip as i wait for someone to open the door, tapping my shoe on the pavement of the steps.

"n."

ethan looks up with a soft smile. he rubs his eyes, trying to adjust to the porch light and he stares down at the letter in my hands. all he wears is his black sweatpants, no shirt. his hair was already growing wings on the side and he had kind of a flop. just the way i like his hair.

i smile sadly and my eyes already start tearing up but i hold in my tears, forcing an even more convincing smile.

"what are you doing here? it's five in the morning." he asks with a raspy voice

i bit my lip even more and his eyes scrunch up in confusion and curiosity, noticing my movements.

"n. is everything ok?" he asks in a worried tone

i stay in my place and breath in and out my mouth, trying to calm myself down.

third person's pov :

ethan's eyes land onto nova's when she finally looks up. he immediately closes the door behind him when he notices her glossy eyes and he grabs her by her arms, playing with her loose baby hairs that are rested on her face.

"what's going on?" ethan asks

nova gulps down her tears and her throat clenches in pain, becoming dry and tight.

"i-i ha-have to telling you some-something." she stutters, a tear drop rolling down her soft cheek

ethan eyes scans nova's, seeing worry and guilt. he immediately starts to become anxious and worried, tugging at the hairs behind his neck.

"nova. what's wrong. you can tell me anything. you know that-"

"i-i got accepted into standford."

once she lets out those words, she shuts her eyes and let's all her tears fall down her cheek. ethan let's go of her arms and stares at her with his jaw wide open, in shock.

"i'm leaving. today." nova's voice cracks

"i-i..."

ethan swallows his tears down, cursing at himself in his head; trying his best not to cry. his head falls back and he stares up at the glistening stars. he breaths in and out his mouth, trying to calm himself down.

"i got the l-letter. yesterday. i was too scared to come and say... goodbye." nova sniffles

ethan nods and drops his head, looking down at his bare feet on his porch. he shuts his eyes and let's his one tear roll down his cold cheek.

nova quickly reacts and walks up to him, wiping his tear away. he holds her hand there and stares up at her glossy eyes.

"please don't cry e. it's already hard enough." she frowns

ethan nods and tries to swallow back his other tears.

he looks back up to meet nova's eyes and licks his lip, realizing they're becoming dry. he looks into her eyes with regret.