s i x t y - f i v e

nova's pov (flashback) :

"hey e! do you want a-"

my smile quickly fades and i clear my throat, slumping into my seat. grayson puts his hand on my shoulder, grabbing my attention and gives me a comforting smile.

i watch as ethan takes alison's piece of mint gum and thanks her, pecking her on the cheek.

"it's probably poisoned nova. then, he'll learn his lesson." grayson smirks

i laugh but hit him gently, facing my attention back to the stage of the home room.

"where the hell is nova?!" someone shouts

i turn around to see perla pacing back and forth with people staring at her weirdly. i wave my hands around to grab her attention but grayson grabs my arms, pushing me back down into my chair.

"no, no. nova for my sake, please don't call her. she's so fucking-"

"nova!"

perla runs up to me and immediately hugs me and i smile over her shoulder, mouthing a 'sorry' to grayson. she pulls away and pretends to wipe a fake tear off of her cheek.

"perla. it hasn't even been that long." i laugh

"shut up it's the first day of school. let me take this in." she breaths

she closes her eyes and breaths in and out. i laugh at her being overdramatic and i'm about to get back into my seat until, another figure tackles me to the ground.

"palo! get off of me!" i laugh

she cuddles me on the floor and i hug her back, sitting back up. bri stands behind her waiting for me to get up and hug her too.

"it's our last year." bri murmurs into my shoulder

"for you and pal." i pout and pull away

"ethan. do you even see anyone new or special here?" grayson asks

ethan's focus remains on alison, not listening to us and i breath in and out, slumping back into my seat.

"c'mon novs. you're sitting with us." pal says

she grabs onto my hands and tries to get me up but i shake my head vigorously, chuckling a bit.

"that's the senior side. i can't go over there pal." i smile

she groans and shoves her head into her face but nods, understanding.

i notice pal holding two wrapped gifts behind her back along with bri and i tilt my head, confused.

"what's that?" i point

"oh." she laughs in disbelief

bri and pal hand grayson a gift politely and grayson's eyes glisten with excitement.

he immediately jump up and hugs them, handing me the gifts to hold. pal and bri laugh, hugging him back. he rocks them back and forth and gives them a peck on the check, pulling back.

"late birthday present." bri smiles

"it's super late but... it's worth the wait." pal laughs

"thank you." grayson smiles

they smile at grayson but quickly frown again, looking back at ethan.

"i don't even have the energy to give him his present." pal whispers

bri groans in annoyance and grabs pal's gift from her hands, throwing both her's and pal's gifts onto ethan's lap.

he stares down at the wrapped presents in confusion and looks back at bri and pal, who held stern looks.

"w-what is-"

"late birthday presents." bri murmurs

"happy birthday e." pal smiles sadly

he gets up to hug them but they quickly scurry away and wave grayson, perla, and i away.

i look back at ethan who's smile quickly fades into a sad, forced smile.

i place my hand on his once he sits back down; rubbing my thumb back and forth over his warm hand. he looks up at me and murmurs a 'thank you,' resting his head on my shoulder.

~ merry xmas guys <3