two

two
————

harry wandered around the emerald carpet of grass, singing softly under his breath.

"it's a perfect time to put my money in my mouth
chew it up and spit it directly on the ground
make some plans i'll never get to
shake some hands at the venue
mm, mm, mm

sitting in a telescope
silently
with his fingers intwi-"

harry stopped abruptly, eyes glued to the second greenhouse.

there was a light on inside.

it was faint, barely there, and filled harry with a bizarre curiosity.

it's probably just professor sprout. he thought.

regardless, his feet led him towards the glass structure, lips parting to release a sleepy yawn.

he stepped through the open door quietly, hoping not to startle whoever was inside.

he saw that the source of light was coming from behind a row of flowers, and a soft hum of a familiar melody drifted through the cool air.

when he stepped around the corner, his eyes widened in bewilderment.

"malfoy?!" he squeaked, jaw dropping at the sight in front of him.

draco was sitting crisscross-applesauce on the greenhouse floor, practically drowning in an oversized lavender sweater, and weaving flower crowns out of daisies.

"p-potter?!" he exclaimed, brows furrowing.

harry rubbed his eyes and blinked in disbelief, sure that this was all a hallucination, a side effect of his nightmares.

but alas, when he opened his eyes, the boy was still there.

"what are you doing here?" draco asked accusingly.

"i could ask you the same thing," harry replied, noticing how draco's lit wand didn't emit a white light like most lumos spells, and instead gave off a more yellowish warmth, like a candle. he briefly wondered what spell the other had used.

a tense, awkward silence ensued.

harry shifted from foot to foot, wondering if he should sit down, or if draco secretly wanted him to leave. draco simply picked up his half-finished daisy crown and continued to intricately weave the thin strands with pale fingers.

finally, draco sighed, looking up at harry.
"if you're going to stay, sit down. i'm tired of you standing there, i can practically hear you thinking."

clumsily, harry plopped onto the floor in front of draco, red tinting his cheeks.

a few more uncomfortable moments passed of harry watching draco, wondering if he should leave. the silence was so thick that harry almost jumped when draco suddenly spoke.

"did you have a nightmare?"

harry immediately tensed, tone turning defensive. "what?! no, of course not. why? did you?"

harry fidgeted and stared at the dirt floor.

he was expecting an onslaught of cruel words, colored with distaste and curling along with his sneer. but draco's tired eyes only drooped quietly, something shining behind the moonbeam silver that harry could not recognize.

"i'm not going to pick on you."

what a strange thing to say. harry found it difficult to believe him.

a few seconds passed silently, but the awkwardness of it made it feel like much longer.

"potter."

harry's head snapped up, tired eyes meeting draco's.

"what's your favorite flower?" the white blonde thought aloud.

harry shrugged, glancing at the plants surrounding him.

"that's alright. i don't have one either. i like too many of them to choose."

his voice was warm, softer than anything harry had ever heard from him before. he was still weaving away at that flower crown with gentle, thrumming fingers.

"my mother...she used to tell me about all of the flowers...we had a garden at the manor that she tended to, even with all the servants. she decorated the house with jasmine sometimes, when my father wasn't home. sometimes the scent would put me to sleep. you know, jasmine is the national flower of indonesia? it's known as melati there. most of them are white, but some are yellow. people say that they originated from the himalayas in western china. they usually have...five or six lobes? and they flower in summer or spring, usually after six months after you plant them...don't quote me on that though, i'm a little rusty on my jasmine facts..." draco chuckled softly, scratching the back of his ear.

the soft hum of his voice accompanied by the chirps of nighttime creatures and the wind enveloping him in the scent of dirt and flower fragrances was beginning to make harry sleepy.

"it...it usually releases its fragrance at night, after the sun has set, especially when the moon is waxing. that's why the smell is so thick now. and you know, there's a thing called jasmine oil, and it..."

a/n: did you like it?
the song at the beginning was telescope by cavetown.
what hogwarts house are you guys in?
((・▽・))