thirty one

thirty one
————

they returned back from their lively trip to hogsmeade, and harry was flushed and tingley, heated blood thrumming through his veins and filling him with a strange warmth.

he felt alive.

it had been so long since he'd had such a genuinely good day, and he could barely keep the grin off his face.

as they were walking back to the castle, draco finally remembered to give harry his gloves back. unfortunately for him, it was only a minute later when pansy decided to lob a clump of snow at the back of his head. the snowball fight almost escalated into a full-out war, but hermione took on her final form and coerced them into stopping.

draco (now with frigid fingers and chattering teeth) started to complain again, whining endlessly about how his fingers really would fall off this time. finally, harry rolled his eyes and took draco's hand, stuffing them both into the pocket of his jacket, and effectively shut him up.

the blond had blushed to the tips of his ears, leaving their friends speechless and harry with a triumphant smile.

the group engaged in quiet conversation the rest of the way, harry and draco stealing fond glances at each other when the other wasn't looking.

now they were back in the gryffindor common room, changed out of their thick coats, and were sitting in a circle of armchairs in the corner.

hermione and ron were glancing at each other, and then back at him with the weirdest expressions on their faces.

"okay, what?" harry asked. "why are you looking at me like that?"

neither of them met his eyes.

ron sighed. "fine, i'm just gonna go ahead and say it. what the bloody hell was that?"

harry blinked. "um...what was what?"

"that whole trip?" he looked pained. "y-you and malfoy...being all..."

he cringed.

"you and malfoy were acting like a couple." hermione finished for him.

harry blushed almost as red as the armchair.

"what?" he scoffed, shoulders tensing in embarrassed defense. "no we weren't. what are you on about?"

they exchanged a look.

"we're not accusing you of anything," she reassured him, although the corner of the
her lips twitched, giving away her hidden amusement. "you just seemed a bit...infatuated with him."

ron laughed. "a bit?"

as dramatically as possible, he began to flop onto hermione's lap and give a horrible impression of harry and draco's behavior.

"oh harry, you have chocolate on your face! let me lick it off for you!"

"draco darling are your hands cold? here have my gloves!"

"but harry! don't you need them?"

"i would gladly sacrifice my fingers for the sake of our love!"