twenty three

twenty three
————

"it sounds like rubbish."

"it's not rubbish!"

"it sounds like stupid muggle rubbish, and you sound absolutely daft." draco groaned, and harry glared at him vehemently, though his stare lacked any real bite.

the two of them were holed up in a dim potions classroom nearly forgotten about in the dungeons. apparently, places like this were the best for potion brewing, which harry supposed gave a logical explanation as to why the late professor snape always kept them locked up in the dark at the bottom of the castle. their project was coming along nicely, although harry had to admit he hadn't done all that much this session.

draco was the real potion master, and while he stirred the brew with pinched brows and concentrated lips set in a thin line, the only thing harry had contributed were chopped up pieces of ingredients and absent minded conversation.

somehow, they ended up talking about muggle contraptions, like vacuums, tvs, and toasters. all of which draco had never heard of and, apparently, thought were stupid.

"toasters are a very useful contraption in the muggle world," he denied, puckering his bottom lip in an annoyed pout. "it's how we make sandwiches and bagels and warm, toasty, buttery bread! muggles don't have magic so they must make do with what they do have!"

"oh yes," draco mumbled sarcastically. "i'm sure muggles are very smart, making those intelligent things with their stupid bloody notches and their loud noises!"

"they are!"

"look, i'm just saying that a little metal box that screams when bread is warm does not sound very pleasant."

harry face palmed. "i told you it doesn't scream."

"it does too! it screams at me!"

draco whipped his head up, and harry couldn't help but snort, as draco looked so offended and so distraught, his soft eyes all soured and angry like an annoyed child's.

he was too cute.

"draco, it doesn't scream at you," harry cooed softly, and draco scrunched up his nose. "it just dings to tell you when it's done."

"that is not a ding."

"it is a ding."

"it's not, it's too loud! like a banshee! how ridiculous."

"how about this? i'll get you a nice, properly working toaster that does not scream, and if you still don't like it, then you win and you get to destroy it."

"i can set the wretched thing on fire?" he turned to harry like a child on christmas.

"...yes...if you want."

"deal." draco nodded, a satisfied smile on his lips.

"okay."

they soon fell back into a comfortable silence, the air still thick with the lingering echoes of soft words and playful smiles. the only sounds were the bubbling potion and the chopping of ingredients.