twenty four

twenty four
————

"done." harry announced, rolling up his finished charms essay and putting it away.

he had two free periods after lunch and transfiguration, the first of which he was spending with ron and hermione, catching up on homework. he shared the second period with draco, so they were going to talk with professor hart for ideas about the missing ingredient.

once his work was tucked away safely in his bag, he finally remembered to tell them about the potion's recent progress. at lunch he'd been absorbed in a book draco recommended, and all thoughts of potions ingredients and classwork had completely slipped his mind.

"draco and i are almost finished with testing."

ron was the first to look up, glad for a distraction from his homework. "really? you guys are finished?"

"no, but we found a recipe that will work once we find one more ingredient." at that, hermione finally looked up from her book.

"i've been researching a lot of ingredients for pansy and i's project, so i can help if you guys can't find anything." the brunette  flipped her book to show a title that read "100 Potions Ingredients and Their Uses".

harry smiled. draco was reading that same book a few days ago. "thanks. i don't really think we'll need it though. draco's really smart."

ron raised an eyebrow, and hermione pressed her lips together like she did whenever her status as 'the brightest witch of her age' was threatened.

"guess what he told me today," harry found a topic that would hopefully dim the competitive glint in her eyes. "he said he made his own spell! isn't that awesome?"

and like he thought it would, the competitive glint was replaced with amazed curiosity.

"really? how? it should take years to do something like that!" she questioned.

"i bet he's lying." ron chimed in. "not even hermione has done that."

hermione smacked him on the back of his head.

harry shook his head at ron's suggestion. "i saw him do it, it was a spell i've never seen before, and if it's not original, we would've learned it already."

hermione went to ask more, but harry jumped out of his seat abruptly, cursing and gathering his things.

"i'm late for our meeting with professor hart!"

he ran off, missing the displeased look on hermione's face. she'd be left with this burning curiosity until they saw each other again at dinner.

***

harry burst into the potions room, panting. his loud entrance went mostly unnoticed by draco and the professor, who were talking animatedly.

he gave himself a moment to catch his breath before sitting in the empty chair next to draco. they were in the midst of intense potion talk that mainly sounded like gibberish to him, so he just sat there zoning out and occasionally trying to decipher what they were saying.

draco had a list in front of him, on which several items were crossed out and several others had symbols next to them that only made sense to him.