ten

ten
————
harry was being awkward again.

it had only been ten minutes, and he had already managed to choke on his food, say "uh" eighteen times, and knock six books into the ground.

"for merlin's sake," draco groaned. "stop being so awkward. we're supposed to be friends now. i'm not going to hex you, i'm not going to make fun of you, and i won't hurt you in any way. just relax."

harry hadn't been thinking about that.

what he had been thinking about, was how cute draco looked when he was passionate.

how his grey eyes shined a bright silver as he explained a certain potion ingredient, or how his entire face lit up when he had an idea. how he gently chewed his rosy lips while writing notes, and how his eyebrows furrowed when he was trying to remember something.

harry had known he wasn't straight since third year, when ron was going on about an attractive girl and harry was more interested in her boyfriend.

but he decided he was bisexual in fourth year, when he had a crush on both cho chang and cedric diggory. it was...confusing, to say the least.

but, of course, he couldn't tell anyone (besides ron and hermione). if word were to get out that harry potter, the chosen one, liked boys, rita skeeter would have a field day. now, though, he didn't really care what people thought of him. the only reason he hadn't come out yet was because he didn't need all the extra trouble. his life was hard enough.

"oh, no i-i wasn't thinking about that."

"then what were you thinking about?"

harry blushed. "nothing."

"well whatever it is, get over it and start paying attention." draco huffed. "if you don't want to have to work over christmas break, we're going to be on a strict schedule."

harry nodded, suppressing his gay thoughts just enough to get some work done.

-

one impossibly long hour later, they had skimmed over countless books but hadn't come up with any good ideas.

harry's eyelids drooped with boredom as he scanned yet another textbook. he sighed, slumping backwards into his chair.

his green eyes flitted over to his partner, observing the way his eyebrows were furrowed slightly, pink lips twisted in frustration.

feeling harry's eyes on him, draco looked up and met his eyes.

"bored?" he asked.

"yeah."

"you can stop for now." he glanced at the piles of books littering the table. "i'm going to finish looking through this book, but we can continue tomorrow if we don't find anything."

harry hummed in reply, leaning his head back and letting his eyes fall shut for a moment.

suddenly, he jolted up, gasping loudly. so loudly, in fact, that he choked and began coughing quite violently.

draco looked up, face twisted with concern.

once harry had stopped coughing, he hurriedly explained the reason for his particularly large intake of air.

"i have an idea!"

normally, draco would have scolded him for being so loud in the library, but harry looked so cute when he was excited. his green eyes were wide and sparkly, and his lips were upturned in a wide smile. he was practically bouncing in his seat and he waved his hands through the air in barely contained elation.

so instead of reprimanding him, draco gathered a piece of parchment, ink, and a quill in preparation of what harry had come up with.

"what if-..we can- a-a potion to form a connection between people!" he spluttered.

draco raised his eyebrows, amused at how much difficulty harry was having, but at the same time curious as to what he meant.

"a..connection?"

"yeah! like a...a bond! like a telepathy thing.."

draco nodded, jotting the idea onto the roll of parchment. "how would it work?"

harry thought for a moment. "it could...let you hear what the other person is thinking..? oh wait no, that's a bad idea."

he didn't want draco to have to see his thoughts.

harry thought for a while longer before abruptly lighting up, an idea forming in his head.

draco sat, watching him, and waited for him to elaborate. he could practically hear him thinking.

"what if, instead, you could tell what the other person is feeling?" he grinned. "like if one was in danger, then the other would know!"

the blond nodded, lips forming a small smile. "but it should only last for twenty-four hours after they drink it."

by the end of the period, they had an entire parchment full of their potion's details.

a/n: how was it? do you like the potion they decided to make?
i meant to post a chapter on christmas, but i was too busy helping my grandma prepare dinner. 😅
consider this a late christmas present! and if you don't celebrate christmas, then this can just be a gift for reading my amateur writing!
(づ。◕‿‿◕)