thirteen

thirteen
————
once draco reached the portrait of the fat lady serving as the entrance of the gryffindor common room, he realized that he didn't know the password. he hated to wake up the adorable boy slumbering in his arms, especially when he so desperately needed the sleep. but he knew the other portraits wouldn't tell the slytherin prince the password. particularly with an unconscious harry against his chest.

it was with great regret that he nudged at the crown of his head, easing him awake.

his emerald eyes blinked dazedly at him through dragging lashes, still foggy and lost in slumber. he hummed softly against him, the sound of sleepy confusion almost a whine. it was too cute.

"hey harry, i just need the password to your common room real quick so i can get you into your nice, cozy bed. i just need the password real quick." he repeated,

"pass...password?" harry mumbled in a tired breath.

draco smiled softly.

"yeah, password."

"mm...honeysuckle..."

"thank you harry."

"welcome..." the boy murmured against the crook of his neck, seeming to forget his awkwardness in his exhaustion. he nuzzled into draco's side, but didn't fall back to sleep, simply, breathing and humming against draco's shoulder.

it was adorable.

draco looked up to see the fat lady staring at the two of them in confusion. however, having heard harry's slurred words, she cautiously swung open.

draco shot her a grateful smile as he walked inside.

woah.

he was surprised at how warm and welcoming the gryffindor common room was.

even with no one around, the common room looked cozy and prepared to welcome students into its comforting warmth after a long day. the fire was still glowing in the hearth, brightening the maroon and gold wallpaper and filling the air with the sweet scent of embers. little tables still covered in board games and chess sets stood surrounded by mismatched stools, and a long sofa with pretty throw pillows sat right before the fire.

it was only once they had reached the door of harry's dorm that draco finally let harry walk on his own.

he stumbled towards the signature four poster bed that was draped with red curtains, collapsing onto it as if his exhaustion was physically weighing him down.

"harry." draco said softly.

"hmmm?" the boy replied, sitting up and rubbing his eyes to wake himself up a bit more.

"you're going to skip the rest of today's classes, okay? i'll tell mcgonagall."

harry frowned slightly, but he could admit that the rest of the day wouldn't go well for him if he tried to go back. so, hesitantly, he nodded.

"and also...take this." he reached into his enchanted bag, pulled out a midnight blue vial of dreamless sleep potion and handed it to him. "just in case."

the sleepy boy scrunched his nose in distaste. "i don't like those. they make me feel all drowsy and fuzzy in the morning...'n they sometimes make me feel numb....i dont like it.."

"i know, but you need sleep. good, peaceful sleep. if you come to dinner, i can give you a potion that'll help with the fuzziness."

harry sighed, lazily guzzling down the concoction. it tasted like water, but thick, and it had a tang of spice to it.

he was out like a light almost immediately, the combined forces of his lack of energy and the potion effectively knocking him out.

the blond set harry's school bag on the floor next to him and tucked him in, letting his hand linger on his dark locks.

whispering a hopeful "sleep well harry" before leaving, draco rushed to mcgonagoll's office to inform her of harry's condition.

as usual, she was perfectly understanding, and draco was on his way to his next class in no time.

right before he entered the room, he heard a frantic call of his name coming from behind him.

"draco!"

he whipped around, briefly entertaining the unreasonable thought that it was one if his many bullies, despite the kindness and hope that was poured desperately into the word.

he was surprised when he noticed the familiar brown bush and the signature red weasley hair. indeed, it was hermione granger and ron weasley, running towards him fervently, faces twisted into worried knots.

they immediately began throwing questions at him, anxious thoughts jumbled and all spilling out at once, but they were all centered around one thing.

harry.

"harry's fine." draco interrupted. "he was just feeling sick because he hadn't eaten or slept in hours."

once their flitting questions and wide, concerned faces finally relaxed into mild worry, he promptly explained the day's events and assured them that harry was resting well.

when dinner arrived, harry sloppily ambled to the great hall, meeting a satisfied draco in front of the doors to get his potion.

and draco smiled so tenderly, and so gently that harry wondered how he couldn't have noticed its rareness and beauty before.

a/n: ٩(❛๑)۶