thirty

thirty
————

harry'd forgotten how nice the three broomsticks was.

after the war, he'd mainly used weekends to sleep all day and catch up on work, so he hadn't been to hogsmeade in a long time.

but as he sat here with draco and all of their friends, he felt a sense of nostalgia. the smell of butterbeer and rosemary wafted through the air, and harry's stomach rumbled.

he missed this. he missed the simplicity of going to hogsmeade with friends and spending the day laughing instead of crying. it had been a long time since he'd enjoyed something like this.

it was nice.

draco's hand had found its way to the top notches of harry's stiff spine, slender palm splayed soft across his skin, and the intensity of that touch managed to wind harry even beneath the thick layer of his coat. draco drew closer to him, nose pink with rose kiss and lips spread into an amiable grin as the waitress made her way over to their group and timidly asked their orders. her eyes lingered on harry for a few moments longer, recognizing the telltale messy locks and vibrant irises, the scar marring his forehead. thankfully, she said nothing.

"i'll just have some chips, thank you." he murmured when it was his turn to order. he didn't see anything wrong with his choice, but draco instantly turned a sharpened glare upon him, as though harry's words had personally offended him.

harry stared, uncomprehending.

"harry, you can't possibly be serious," draco hissed through clenched teeth, and despite himself, harry flushed. "chips? that's all? you're no peasant harry, you have money—"

"peasant..." ron scoffed beneath his breath. draco ignored him.

"you have enough money to buy yourself a perfectly nutritious meal. there's no need to live like a beggar, your body needs more than that. hypocrite."

draco's eyes flickered dangerously as he turned back to the awkwardly shifting waitress, and harry's cheeks flooded with heat, his own bashfulness glaringly obvious upon his skin.

"he'll have fish and chips and a house salad, thank you."

the waitress nodded hurriedly, and harry stared pointedly down at his lap as blaise and pansy guffawed and ron made strangled noises of disgust.

"and for you?" she directed her attention to draco now.

"i'll have a garden salad and a cup of butterbeer." he said.

harry stared at him.

"what?"

"just salad? now who's being a hypocrite!"

"i'm not that hungry."

harry scoffed. "have you had anything else today?"

draco looked away, flushing a little bit. "i had toast."

harry pursed his lips. "toast."

by that time, the waitress had moved on to the others while they were bickering, and was now shifting awkwardly and waiting for them to notice her. everyone else was staring at him incredulously, and blaise stifled a chuckle in the palm of his hand. both of them blushed profusely.