Chapter Two | Lost Boy

Lost Boy, by Ruth B

Hermione winced as a hand came down sharply across her face. A stabbing pain sliced through her cheek and Hermione gasped as she lost her balance. Her arms automatically flew behind her as she stumbled and tripped, falling backwards. Pain shot through her arms as her palms collided with the ground. Pike hovered over her as she sat, her legs and arms splayed out like a starfish. He glared at her, his dark eyes held no sympathy. She flinched when he reached forward and ripped the golden chain from around her neck. "That'll teach you filthy mudbloods to stay out of our compartment." He yelled, his voice scathing.

   The Slytherin third year smiled, showing his crooked teeth. Hermione gasped as he raised his hand a second time. She squeezed her eyes shut, expecting pain, when suddenly, a deep voice boomed to her left. "Stop!" Hermione looked up to see Draco Malfoy's tall, thin, figure. His pale face was grim and his was forehead creased but she swore she could see red rising up his neck. For a split second, she saw anger behind those pale blue eyes. But he quickly composed himself, masking his anger and faced a confused Pike. "Give it up Pike. It's not worth it. Let's go get dressed. We'll be at the school soon."

"But..."

   The red began to rise to Malfoy's cheeks and Hermione saw true anger in Draco Malfoy's eyes. "Pike! I said, give it up!" Pike grumbled but bowed his head in defeat and made his way into the train car. But before he could make it, his grubby fingers slammed into the sliding door. Hermione heard him shout a curse and mutter something about "filthy little mudbloods" before going into the compartment. Hermione looked up to Malfoy, who scowled and looked away.

With a sigh, Hermione turned her attention to her dropped items. She lifted her hand to her cheek and reached out to grab her chain. She winced when she pulled her hand away and saw blood drip from her fingertips. Hermione sighed and reached forward, her fingers fumbling to find her dropped wand. But within seconds she felt a slight pinch against her cheek and felt the skin pull back together. Her gaze automatically flew to Malfoy who stood at the door of the compartment, hiding his wand in his sleeve. Before she had a chance to speak, she heard him mutter something under his breath and the chain in her hand mended. Draco looked back and Hermione saw the side of his lips curl before he snorted and entered the train car.

Hermoine stared, dumbfounded at Malfoy's retreating figure. His sudden act of kindness startled her. Since when did he care about what happened to her? Since when did he call his minions off of their cruel little conquests? But then again, since when did he help Gryffindors discover what was in the Chamber of Secrets against his father's will? Why would he go against his father to help her foil Voldemort's plan? Hermione was sure that Draco knew if they discovered what he had done he would be severely punished. So why would he risk it? Hermione sat there, frozen, unable to move until someone called her name. Ginny made her way down the hall and her eyes widened at Hermione's current state.

   Automatically, Hermione pushed herself to her feet and raised a hand to comb down her unruly hair. It was always such a mess. When Hermione realized what she was doing, she grumbled. Her appearance had never bothered her before, so why did it come to mind now? Looks were never important to her. Hermione was embarrassed with herself for acting so self-conscious. She shook her head and turned to Ginny, who came forward shyly and smiled. "Ron and Harry are looking for you. We are almost to Hogwarts." Hermione smiled and nodded.

   "Thank you, Ginny." The young witch gave her a nod and skipped away. She was still warming up to Hermione, and was still very ashamed of what happened last year. She still didn't have many friends at Hogwarts either. So Hermione was careful to be gentle around Ginny and tried to be as welcoming as she could. The little witch was nervous about her second year, and seeing as how she was possessed last year, Hermione did not blame her. Ron had told her that Ginny had hardly spoken all summer. Hermione hoped to earn Ginny's friendship and help her overcome whatever insecurities she may have about the incident.