Chaper Thirteen | Tightrope

Tightrope, by Michelle Williams

Their fingers brushed and he almost caught her but then, she felt sickeningly nauseous and everything went black.

Draco saw her fall and felt an icy hand clutch his heart as terror overtook him. Darkness consumed Hermione's falling figure and she slipped into the night. Draco froze, only for a moment, but it was long enough for her to disappear from his sight. It wasn't until Hermione screamed that he came back to his senses. He dove, flying as fast as he could and searched for her. When Hermione fell into the moon's light and Draco met her eyes. He reached out, his fingers only inches from hers. Draco made an attempt to grab her hand but missed.

The overwhelming fear in them caused him to shudder. He pushed the broom harder and leaned out, reaching further. Draco could feel the tips of her fingers as they brushed his. Hermione uttered his name, her voice breaking. Tears streamed down her cheeks, her expression revealed nothing but sheer terror. Draco tried to keep his expression neutral so she would know that everything was going to be alright, to let her know that he would catch her, but his voice betrayed him, his own fear evident as he cried her name. It was too late, he wasn't going to reach her!

   Draco cried out, screaming into the wind. He had to reach her, he had to catch her, and he had to save her. Draco promised Hermione he wouldn't let anything happen to her. He would reach her. He would catch her. He would save her! Draco called for her, her name barely escaped his lips when her head snapped back, hitting the stone wall. "No!" He screamed, seizing her hand before she hit the ground. Draco cried out in agony as a wave of pain shot through his arm. The wound from the bludger accident felt as though he had been electrically shocked. He was certain the muscle in his bicep must have torn, but he didn't let go of her. Draco tried to lift her up but she hung limply and he didn't have enough strength to pull her onto the broom. His whole arm throbbed and he could feel a wet substance begin to bleed through his sleeve and drip down his arm.

   Hermione began to slip and Draco called her name but she didn't move. He tried to pull her again but she remained unconscious. A horrible feeling settled in his stomach and Draco let the broom descend to the ground.

Once he was close enough to the ground, Draco gently lowered her to the grass and jumped off the broom. Careful to watch her head, he pulled her into his lap and pushed the hair from her face. "Hermione?" He asked, but she did not reply. Draco tilted her head and saw blood drip from her nose. "No." He whispered.

   With a shaking hand, he caressed her cheek. She wasn't breathing. Draco's breath became ragged and he felt for a pulse. There was nothing. "No, no, oh please no!" He voice cracked. With a shaking breath, he pulled her face to meet his. Hermione remained still, unmoving. Draco trembled. She couldn't be dead, she just couldn't. Pulling her close, Draco placed a kiss upon her forehead and hugged her still figure. "I'm sorry." He whispered. "I'm so sorry!" Tears streamed down his cheeks as he broke down, shaking uncontrollably.

"Draco?"

Draco felt the warmth of her breath against his neck and gasped. Her fragile voice shuddered as she whispered his name. Draco let out a breath of relief and held her close. "I'm here, Hermione. I'm here." He pressed his lips to her forehead and closed his eyes. Hermione let out a ragged breath, then her head fell and she went limp in his arms. "No. No! Hermione stay awake." He stroked the hair back from her forehead. When he pulled his hand away, blood covered his fingers. He noticed that blood not only dripped from her nose but her left ear as well. There was no gash on the back of her head, where she had hit it off the stone wall as he had expected.

Gathering Hermione in his arms he whispered in her ear. "Hold on, Hermione." He picked her up and began to make his way to the castle. "Stay with me." He had to get her to Madam Pomfrey before it was too late. He was thankful for it being dinnertime as most of the students were at supper, so the corridors were empty. Draco made his way down the halls as fast as his feet would carry him.