Chapter Twenty-Seven | Monster

Monster, by Skillet

Draco had witnessed the gut-wrenching scene unfold between Hermione and the boy who she believed to be him. Tears streamed down her cheeks and Draco struggled to cry out and let her know that it wasn't him. The boy smiled evilly and Draco grimaced as he fought against the body-binding curse with everything he had in him. His imposter cast a spell so that Draco could see through the wall, then staged the scene so that it would unfold before him. Draco grit his teeth, the only movement the spell would allow, trying to subside the anguish. He couldn't stand it, he had to watch as that... that... sociopath destroyed the only good thing he had in his life.

   Pain, dread, rage. All of these emotions washed over him as he watched the boy he'd once considered a friend break the heart of the only girl he'd ever truly cared about. She was the only person in his life who truly mattered to him and soon she would hate him with every part of her being. In her eyes, he was the one who had hurt her, and he would deserve her hatred. Draco grimaced. If that truly were him he would deserve it, but he had to prove to her that it wasn't him.

Draco knew that Hermione would never speak to him again. After this, she had a justified reason. She thought that that boy was him. He wouldn't be able to explain what happened and Hermione would never believe him anyway. Draco looked at Hermione, her beautiful innocent face. The hurt expression she portrayed at the boy insulted her. Draco wanted nothing more than to pull her close, hold her in his arms and tell her everything was alright. That everything was going to be alright. To tell her that he loved her.

   Pain inched away at his heart. Draco berated himself for not telling her that he loved her when he had the chance. Maybe if he had this wouldn't have happened. Draco sighed. Of course this still would have happened, it was bound to happen. But at least if he had told her before then she would have known. He would have admitted it to her. Whether she would have believed it after this he did not know but it would have made him feel better to know that he had told her.

Suddenly, the boy pulled Hermione into a harsh and aggressive kiss. Draco felt his blood begun to boil and rage coursed through his veins. He wasn't just angry, but he felt uncaged aggressive rage upon seeing this boy kiss her. Not only did he kiss her, he kissed her forcefully. Draco growled. How dare he lay a hand on her!! Hermione struggled against the boy's grip then pulled her wand on him and sent him flying against the wall. He hit the stone with a thud and a groan then fell to the ground, almost unconscious.

   With tears in her eyes, Hermione approached the boy she believed to be Draco and pointed her wand at him once more. "Revelio!" Draco's eyes widened as the spell hit the boy square in the chest. She knew! She knew that it wasn't him! There would have been no other reason for her to cast the revealing charm! Draco waited for the polyjuice potion to wear off but dread filled him as he found himself staring into the same mirror image and the boy smiled at him.

Draco felt as though a knife had been plunged into his heart. Of course the Slytherin had placed shields around himself. It was only an obvious defense mechanism. Draco watched as Hermione's face became deathly pale and she covered her mouth with her hands to stifle her sobs. Hermione was trembling as she pulled out her wand, pointing it at the boy once more. Draco grimaced as the boy taunted her, trying to make her hex him. He silently urged her not to do anything she'd get in trouble for. Draco breathed a sigh of relief when she dropped her wand. "No. I'm not like you." She let out a sharp cry and ran down the hall, as far away as she could.

When he was certain she had gone, the boy stood and approached the broom cupboard where Draco was locked away. He opened the door and faced the growling and wriggling Draco. The boy rolled his eyes. "Don't bother. I'm sure by now you've realized that I am skilled in the ways of the Dark Arts. My spells are impenetrable. Why do you think Granger's little counterspell didn't work?" Draco eyed the boy, unable to speak. If he had, he would have hexed him right then and there. A slight ping of guilt crept in when he realized he'd had every intention of using the Cruciatus Curse on the Slytherin. But the feeling of guilt didn't last long as Draco knew that the boy deserved it and had been ready to preform the exact curse on Hermione and probably countless others himself.