I bolster my Resolve

I wanted to find madness. I needed it to find madness. I came to realize that if I wanted to stop it I would need to take out it's friends. I figured that after all the evil emotions would see Regret  wasn't in their ranks anymore and would try to come and get me. 

I was right. I was expecting an emotion and one came running. I felt a bit paranoid but with the weight on my shoulders I expected myself to be. When I was walking through my alley, I started to think about this whole situation. Who was I to try and save the world, I'm no hero. Wait, what was I saying, of course I was a hero, if people only knew how many lives I've saved. But what if the people didn't want to be saved. No, that's not right. I wonder what madness feels like. No, why am I thinking these things. 

Suddenly my shoulders begin to feel heavier then a few seconds before. I looked around and saw a brown gaseous figure clinging to the wall, It was Doubt.The emotion seemed very real, which had me taken aback. The second I saw it, it pounced at me. I closed my eyes right before one of it's claws made me a little less whole, and I was on the battlefield. 

Doubt started to look around and the whole landscape seemed to change. It turned into the middle of a war zone before my eyes. Explosions went off in the distance. Doubt didn't stop there. The emotion started to appear more and more until at least thirty versions of Doubt were standing next to eachother. I looked around me and realized that Doubt sorrounded me on all sides.

You're tired, you no longer want to defend against the coming storm. It's voice soothing and calm. I thought about how right the emotion was. I was tired and living under the emotion's rule wouldn't be that bad.

What was I saying? Doubt's words were getting to me and if I kept listening then I would not get out alive. Think, John, you've trained for this. I got ahold of my bearings again and tried to tune out the words. I looked down at my left hand and a whip started to unfurl at my side. 

I spinned it above my head and brought the end of the whip down on one of the many Doubts. I needed to go faster. The end of my whip lengthened and I swung it above my head. It went through a lot of the emotions around me, but it wasn't enough. They just kept appearing. I needed to find the original Doubt. 

As the world I saw was burning, I calmed my mind and saw the situation from a tactical standpoint. The faces of Doubt all around me still, smiling, and cruel, but as I looked, I saw in the background, there was one face that was strained, concentrated on keeping this whole mirage up. 

I kept my eyes on that one emotion and knew I would reach it. I manifested a pair of baseball bats in my hands. I started to run, breaking through the crowd of Doubt. If any thing got in my way, they would be knocked away. I finally reached the source of all the emotion. I pounced on Doubt, knocking it down to the ground.

You would not hurt me.

"You have no idea about what I wouldn't do". The emotion became confused and then scared. It's words could not persuade me. Doubt could not doubt me anymore. The warzone started to melt down around me. I put my hands on it's neck and kept them there until it was done.

I closed my eyes and the next second I was back in the alley that I knew. I walked away, ready for whatever came next.