4: Billboards and Posters

Next chapter's the concert! The pic above is Kennedy that day.

----

"Really?" Brandon asks with an arched brow.

I grin as the intro to Harry's Watermelon Sugar starts blaring from the car's speakers. "Brandon, there's like a rule that the one in shotgun gets to pick the music, so zip it," I finish with a Z-snap.

"What is up with you and Harry Styles anyway? It's like you're in love with the guy or something and you haven't even met him yet."

I look over at him and notice his eyes are glancing at the rearview mirror. I follow his gaze to the back seat—to Claudia—and she shifts in her position with a poorly-hidden smirk on her face. Jesus, that's like the third time in the past two hours.

As soon as Brandon noticed that I'd been looking, he cleared his throat and changed lanes.

I squint at him. "Is there something going on that I should know about?"

He snorts. "Like what?"

"You tell me," I shrug, facing forward, "all this fuss about going to New York out of the blue and not telling me why, plus all the weird looks you've been sharing with Claudia."

"There are no 'weird looks' Kennedy," Claudia butts in. I could hear her—literally hear her roll her eyes.

"Yeah, right, whatever," I shift in my seat and tap away on my phone.

Brandon groans as the song stops midway and resumes from the beginning. "Why start it over again?"

"I hadn't appreciated it as I should have."

I turn away from him, hiding the smirk on my face.

----

We finally arrive at our hotel a few hours later. I grudgingly drag my suitcase across the room and jump onto the bed. God, I'm so incredibly tired.

The rest of the trip had been quite chaotic. Mom had to make us stopover every thirty goddamn minutes to pee, Claudia was eating sometime during the first hour of the road trip when Brandon had stepped on the brakes so abruptly, causing her to accidentally spill her food across the backseat. Mom started mouthing both of them off and only stopped when we were on our third hour. Even then, she'd make these snide comments under her breath. All the while, Claudia and Brandon were bickering back and forth over whose fault it really was.

I mean, typical family drama. No big deal, right? Yeah, no. It drained me.

I perk up as I hear Claudia near me. "Hey guys! We've just arrived in New York and no, that is not a dead body behind me, that's just Kennedy," she laughs.

I prop myself up on my elbow and deliberately roll my eyes at the camera. "I'm not Kennedy, I'm exhausted."

Mom's voice cuts in, asking if we'd want food delivered in or have a stroll outside. I briefly wonder where she gets her energy. We've literally been in a car for God knows how many hours and she's still ready to go "have a stroll" around the city. I mentally facepalm myself. She goes to the gym, of course, she'd have all this pent-up energy.

Claudia continues filming while I stand up and head over to the bathroom. Mom follows me inside and checks my reflection in the mirror.

"You look terrible," she laughs.

"I just love the way you lift up my spirits, Mom," I deadpan. She laughs and heads over to the sink, bringing her bag of makeup with her.

"Do we get something to eat or just order in?"