27: Mr. Baby, Whacko, and the Box

Meet Mr

Meet Mr. Baby.

----

Chapter 27: Mr. Baby, Whacko, and the Box

I said no.

I said no to the pain—deep, excruciating, debilitating pain. I said no to the insecurities that had started gnawing inside my head, whispering thoughts like they hadn't already been there. I refused to let it foster. I refused to give it the slightest bit of attention.

That is why I'm here in my new apartment, having just paid the landlord the security deposit and signed the lease. I'd been so determined to keep the thing with Harry off of my mind that I jumped on the opportunity of moving out. I needed to make a drastic change—the overwhelming feeling was sitting under my skin, like an itch I couldn't really scratch.

I needed some semblance of control in my life—I craved it after what happened. I refuse to be this weak, brokenhearted girl waiting and sulking in the corner for a prince on a white horse to come save her. Taylor Swift was wrong about this one.

Ugh. Taylor Swift. Is he still in contact with her too? Fuck. I shake the thought out of my head. Stupid, stupid Kennedy. Get your game on. Focus.

I thought twice about vlogging the moving part, certain that this could go in one of two ways—one, incredibly well, because I was happy and genuinely excited about moving out; and two, incredibly worse, because my mind keeps reverting to that stupid article that Harry had neither confirmed nor denied.

What was I thinking? Was I seriously demanding in my head that he explain it to me? Who was I even? We weren't committed to each other—we had no obligation to reassure the other of something. If I were being specific here, we hadn't even decided what to do or what we were yet. He said he liked me, but I guess that's that.

Apparently, he doesn't like me enough to not make me look like a fool in front of millions of people.

Mom smiles at me, and although the corner of her lips were pulled upwards, I see the sadness in them. Pity, even. Great, was there anyone I knew that wasn't aware of what had just transpired? Can I just get some fresh, new air to breathe?

----

The satisfaction from the sudden life-changing move was fleeting. After we'd set up everything—moving furniture around the place, fetching some things from our old house, even after picking my own Toyota Corolla and driving it home, the fatigue was not enough to distract me. It was frustrating. I could tell everyone wanted to keep me company, but I was not in the mood for people.

I just wanted to fall face-first into the mattress and try to doze my horrible mood off.

Claudia took one long look at me and knew exactly what to do. I didn't even hear what her excuse was, but when she convinced Brandon and Mom to leave with her, I mumbled a 'thank you' to her ear and walked them to the door.