3| Porch Swing

"Well now you know she's not," I let out as I walk to the bread aisle with him trailing behind, I was trying to hold back the budding anger in my system

"I thought maybe the pregnancy was just making her hallucinate, you know, Liza's always been a bit crazy-" He tries, it would seem that the tension was undetectable to him.

"What do you want?" I spin around and face him, exasperatedly running a hand through my hair.

"Just to say hello," He says, his brows furrowed in confusion. God, I hated him.

"Hello," I answer hotly, "Now you can leave." He grins again finding himself amusing, getting a rise out of me was always his favourite sport.

"Actually, you said hello, not me," He points out, a big cheeky smile plastered across his face. I blow air out my mouth and twitch my lips to the side, in an attempt not to smile. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing I found him funny.

"It's a bad one today," He sigh, gesturing out the shop window, "The crops are gonna have a great season."

"So you're a farmer now too huh?" I ask, this was certainly a new development. He laughs putting his hands in the front of his denim jean pockets.

"No, you?" I roll my eyes and walk to the spice aisle. I didn't need anything else from the store but I just wanted to hear his voice for a little while longer. I could feel the heat rise to me cheeks.

"Look, I have a lot of things to do," I say, picking up a bottle of cajun seasoning and examining its ingredients. The best course of action would be to act bothered by his presence, not let him know that I've missed him.

He flexes his shoulders in a shrug, "I've got time," he smiles down at me. When I'm done grabbing useless items I know we don't need I proceed to the checkout line. "Here let me help you," he reaches for the bags in my hand, I snatch them away from him before he can et them.

"I'm fine," I say through grit teeth, he wasn't about to worm his way back into my life. Not after everything.

"Let me give you a ride, you can't carry that all the way home in this weather," He glances outside again a hint of panic behind his cocky exterior, "Knowing you, you'd probably get struck by lighting halfway there."

I dry laugh, "Ha ha ha, fine," He takes the groceries from me and pushes the door with his shoulder before walking me towards his brown pick-up truck. I smile and rub my hand across the side of it. "You still have her?"

The old clunk had been a vestige of all the good memories I'd had before leaving three years ago. Seeing the truck made me think of all the outcomes that fate could have given me. I frown, only for a moment before covering it with a less frightening expression.