13| Hits like a truck, stays like a bruise

Trigger Warning: Slightly distressing themes mentioned later in this chapter

"Thank you again for letting me stay the night ma'am," He says to my mom, plucking his jacket off the living room couch he slept on.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay for breakfast?" She asks.

"No, I should be getting on home." My mom nods her head and gives him a motherly hug before walking back to the kitchen to start on breakfast.

The air outside the house is tight, the way it feels after it has rained for hours on end. The walk to his car seemed longer than it did the last time we'd done it, we were both taking tiny steps.

I couldn't find the words to tell him, I didn't want to sound like one of those stupid posters of encouragement they place on the walls of schools during bullying awareness month. I couldn't exactly say, "Everything will be okay." Because I wasn't sure that it would be. He could go home right now and I would have no control over what happens to him at home.

I close my eyes and wrap my arms around myself, the hustling wind making it evident that my pyjamas were thinner than I initially thought.

"I know I have baggage.." I open my mouth to cut him off but he lifts his hand telling me to wait, "I know, and I can't force you to accept it." I nod my head, fumbling with the tiny slip of paper I had folded into my sleeve earlier this morning. If he was going to break up with me before we even got together there's be no point in giving it to him. "Like always, I'm giving you a choice, I always will." He looks away from and down into the marsh that sat between my house and the mile-long field of grass that separated us from the neighbours.

"I haven't changed my mind," I answer. I wanted to say more but the way he phrased his question made it seem like everything I said was forced or out of pity. I blushed, hesitating on whether or not now was the appropriate moment.

I watched as he nodded, climbed into his truck and put on his seatbelt. I waited until his hands were on the steering wheel and then spoke, "Keaton?" He turned to face me, his head a little out the window, I was thankful his window was open or it would have made the next part of my plan difficult. I stood on my tiptoes and planted a quick kiss on his lip and dropped the electric pink sticky note in the car and turned to run away.

From the safety of my house, I watched him smile as he unfolded the piece of paper that revealed my cellphone number.

🌻🌻🌻

I waited in my room the whole weekend hoping that he would call. He didn't.