18| Late

"What do you mean you're late?" Eliza asks, her voice raising several octaves, most likely shattering whatever it was that transported sound through my ears

"What do you mean you're late?" Eliza asks, her voice raising several octaves, most likely shattering whatever it was that transported sound through my ears. I was thankful I had decided to tell her over the phone, at least this way I could move the phone further from my head.

"What do you think I mean?" I asked, shaking my head in annoyance. This wasn't a joke to me. I plop down in my seat by my vanity and burry my head in the crook of my arm.

"How long has it been?" She asks, I could her the jingle of her keys in the background and I perked up slightly, I wouldn't have to be alone to find out. "Does Keaton know?" She asks, not leaving any room for me to answer her previous question.

I stall and it seems as if she does too, the hurried footsteps from her end of the phone had suddenly died down. The tension that lingered on the call seemed to double. Of course I hadn't told Keaton. There was no way I was going to tell him until I knew for sure.

"A few days.." I mutter, slightly embarrassed about the topic at hand. The most Eliza and I had talked about the 'red queen' was when it came to how we were going to skip cheer because of cramps. Explaining to her how my period hadn't come for three days just felt weird. "And I don't want to worry him so shut up about it." I groaned, desperately wanting to move away from anything that involves telling Keaton. I couldn't take the chance of him being upset.

"Fine, I'll pick you up in a few." The line drops and I stand to shrug on one of the sweatshirts I kept hanging on the hook of my bedroom door.

🌻🌻🌻

"For the love of God, just pick one Bea," Eliza sighs tiredly, crossing her thin arms across her chest. We had been at the grocery store a town over for more than an hour. I had decided that nobody in our town would be able to keep me buying a pregnancy test out of their daily gossip and I didn't want anyone to tell Keaton or my parents before I had the chance to do it myself. "It's not like they all won't tell you if your pregnant or not." She huffs.

I roll my eyes and finally decide on two types of the clearblue brand, the stripe one, and the one that outright told you your future like a palm reading magician. My gut clenched and I hoped it was because of the ice cream I ate last night and my severe lactose intolerance, and not the morning sickness pregnant women described all over all the forums they congregated on.

The store in this town wasn't busy. There had to be about four to six other customers excluding Eliza and myself shopping through the aisles. Driving through town had made me certain that the customers who were in the grocery store right now were the only residents that occupied the town. My secret shopping had absolutely no way of getting to anyone I knew back home, as long as Eliza didn't snitch.