15| The Room

The steps that lead upstairs seemed to stretch forever as I climbed

The steps that lead upstairs seemed to stretch forever as I climbed. My legs felt too weak to support my entire body and I contemplated stopping to catch myself every few seconds.

The panic didn't set in until I was in front of my bedroom door. The room I had refused to place even a toenail in since I arrived.

Hesitantly, I twisted the cold metal doorknob and pushed it open. The familiar sound of disuse rung out with a scary squeal of dry hinges.

My room was exactly as I left it three years ago. The bed was still on a high stained white wood frame on the left-hand side of the room, across from the left side of the bed was a bay window with the same amount of excessive pillows scattered on the window seat.

I stepped further into the room, my hand grazed the top of the wooden dresser. I had almost forgotten how bright my room used to be. The light from the big window bounced from the dresser mirror onto the vanity that was placed across from my bed.

I plopped down onto the semi-firm mattress of my bed and finally allowed myself to cry. Not just for the events of today but for the trauma that occurred years ago.

The tears started at first as little droplets of water that fell every so often but soon turned into the kind that left you breathless with each shudder. My chest ached, it was as if the food I had eaten that day had decided that the best time to get rid of it was in this exact moment. I gripped onto my stomach and raced to the bathroom.

As if by God's Grace, I made it to the bathroom and opened the toilet lid just as my lunch came spewing out. For the next hour, I aquatinted myself with the bathroom rug and the toilet bowl, my face getting up close and personal with them both. With each mighty heave came a fresh wave of sobs.

"You know what you have to do right?" I looked up from the floor at my mother who casually leaned against the doorframe.

"What?" I asked, sighing heavily. This was going to be one of those inspirational speeches. I sat up and rested my back against the side of the bathtub.

"Your heart, Bea," she starts, looking at me so intensely it felt like she was reading me. "It's big and it's strong, it knows who it loves and who it doesn't." She smiled down at me, "listen to it." She bent down and placed a soft kiss on the top of my forehead and turned to leave the room.

"Mom?" I called out. She popped her head back in. "I'm scared." A fresh wave of tears welled up in my eyes.

"I know you are baby, you just have to be brave." She took a hold of my hand and squeezed it before leaving once again.

I waited on the floor for five minutes contemplating whether or not I should get up and find him, open my heart up to him and finally move on, or if I should live by myself with Mable.

I stood up and turned to look in the mirror and removed the ring from my finger. The decision was made, the only thing left to do was brush my teeth.

 The decision was made, the only thing left to do was brush my teeth

Edit Summary

May 12, 2020 - Fixed a few things that bothered me, no major changes were made.

June 8, 2020 - Added the banners made for me by Belle.