6| The Ranch

"You see that place up there?" He points to a White ranch style home standing beside the lake off in the distance

I look out the cab window "Kinda, why?" I use my hands to block the sun and get a better look.

"I'm gonna buy that place," He says, a look of determination covering his face. I laugh, my cheeks start to hurt from how hard I'm smiling. "I'm being dead serious." He adds, facing me with a grin.

"That's quite a big place for just one person," I answer, my mind already running around with the possibility of spending my life with him in that house. Building a family, building a peaceful lineage. He reaches down for my hand and I hold onto it as he slowly drives up the dirt path, closer to the house.

"I obviously won't be alone," he starts, his thumb tapping on the wheel to the rhythm of the song playing on his truck's radio as he talks, "I'll have a beautiful wife, and beautiful kids to share it with." He smiles to himself, "Maybe even a dog." I laugh again, the kind of laugh that sends the butterflies running around in the pit of your stomach like children running around in a playground, wild and unpredictable.

"And what's this wife gonna look like?" I ask, craning my neck to look at him. He pulls up into the dirt driveway and shuts off the engine before he turns around to face me, his hand absentmindedly starts to play with the loose strand of my blonde hair that I had decided to let down with a simple honey brown bandanna as a headband.

"She's gonna have the prettiest blonde hair," He says. His hand moves to caress my face, "rosy red cheeks," he continues as he looks into my eyes "Her eyes are gonna be as blue as the sky during a storm." His finger dips to brush my lips. "And her lips are gonna be as soft as the clouds that follow." I let out a shaky breath. "She's perfect." I kiss the palm of his hand and give him a gentle smile.

"We're too young to get married," I say with a small sigh. Deep down inside I knew that if I ever married anybody, it would be him, there was absolutely no doubt in my mind. Looking out the windshield and towards the big ranch in front of us, the dream suddenly felt so unrealistic. Him and I, living together at seventeen and eighteen, a pipe dream. A dream I wanted to come true so badly that it hurt my chest to think about living without it.

"Did I say I was going to marry you?" He scoffs looking at me like I was the crazy one. I slap his chest and he continues, "I didn't did I?" He pushes open the door, climbs out, and circles around to my side of the door, opening it with a deep and sarcastic bow. I jump out of the cab and take hold of his hand. He leads me towards the steps and onto the porch, our hands swinging between us. I couldn't help but think of a little kid standing in between us, swinging our arms like a maniac, then Keaton would bend down to pick the kid up and hold my hand. I smile to myself, too embarrassed to voice the daydream out.

"The view is beautiful," I say instead, looking out into the distance. The water was visible from our position in the porch. I could hear the frogs and the rustling of the trees covering the two lawn chairs under it's thick branches.

"I'd bet it is." I grin at the joke and turn around to face him, his hand digs through his pocket and pulls out his shiny little pocket knife and starts scratching away at the wood beside me. I stroll closer to his side and watch as he carves the initials "BT" and a plus sign. He hands me the knife and looks at me expectantly. I pause and look at him, unsure of what this would mean for us. He smiles and casually leans against the banister, he wasn't going to explain anything.

I smile, my whole body at peace, and scratch out the remaining initials "KM" and the right side of the heart. He takes back the knife and scratches out the left side completing the heart border around our initials. He turns back to face me, grabs my hands in his hands and whispers, "Bea Taylor, I'm gonna marry you one day." I close my eyes and wait for it. I feel his lips brush my cheek lightly, his nose rubbing against my own, and then I feel his lips lightly against my lips. A sweet kiss.

 A sweet kiss

Edit Summary

May 19, 2020 - Fixed a few things that bugged me aesthetic wise, no major edits were done.

June 8, 2020 - Added the banners made for me by Belle

July 18, 2020 - First wave of editing (minimal)