5| Ice Cream

I pick up the intricate wine glass my mother had decided on busting out for our little dinner party from the dark oak side table before standing up from my once comfy position on the porch swing

I pick up the intricate wine glass my mother had decided on busting out for our little dinner party from the dark oak side table before standing up from my once comfy position on the porch swing. As I make my way towards the patio railing, I think of the most neutral way to respond. I glance at him out of the side of my eyes and catch him staring at me. "What do you want me to say?" I ask, shaking around my glass in a circular motion before taking a small sip. I was pretending to be unbothered by our current predicament.

"I don't want you to say anything unless you want to," I turn and rest my back against the rail to face him. Keaton had since abandoned his wine glass and resorted to wringing his hands, an action that I had come to understand meant he was stressed. I fought the urge to reach out to him-to try and settle his nerves like I had used to when we were younger. "You don't owe me anything," I laugh bitterly. We weren't those kids anymore.

"I'm glad you know," I answer dryly, wishing more than anything he would go home and let me stay out here in peaceful reflection.

Mable steps through the sliding doors and stares between Keaton and I curiously. "What is it sweet pea?" I ask rubbing my left temple. A strong was starting behind my eyes.

"You have to read me my bedtime story," Mable pouts, holding the book in her tiny hands. I look at Keaton who's already looking at Mable, his head tilted a little to the side. His eyes crinkle and I can't tell if it's because he's about to cry or because the weather was exceptionally dry outside.

"I'll be there in a second," I say, "Go on inside." She opens her mouth in protest before deciding to save her energy and stomp back inside the house.

"I should probably get going.." Keaton eases himself up from the swing, "You have things to do," I look away from him as he steps closer. My chest tightens and I can feel his presence so close to me that it causes goosebumps to rise to the surface of my arms. I feel his lips brush my cheek and I hope that he doesn't feel the heat on his lips, "Good night Bea." I close my eyes and melt at the feeling that remained long after his lips left my face. When he leaves I stand alone on the patio for a few seconds before grabbing the empty glasses and bringing them inside.

When I enter the guest bedroom Mable is tucked under the silky green duvet struggling to stay awake. "Hey baby," I whisper, climbing in beside her. I wrap my arms around her and pull her closer to my chest, her warmth making me feel more present.

"Hi, mommy," She whispers back. I begin playing with her hair as she continues, "Who is he?" I tuck her hair behind her ear and momentarily falter. Mable notices my indecisiveness and turns her head to face me.

"Just an old friend," I whisper back, knowing I was lying to her. Mable seems to accept the answer, she nods lightly and in moments drifts off to sleep. Leaving me alone to think.